Anal fissure botox ...will it return

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all

I'm.38 year old male suffering from.anal fissures for years. iv usually controlled it via diltazium cream.

however due to recent stresses I was majorly constipated. mistake I made was I forced it out and that's it the damage was done.

at the time of sitting on the toilet I guess you could say I should have got off the toilet and got on with my life and waiting until later when the pressure built up. however this wasnt possible as it was stuck near the anus . sorry for too much information

I then got the bleeding whilst pushing out that stool . biggest mistake ever . if I could turn the clock back I would have drunk prune juice or taking a laxative. but that's hindsight for you

anyways I used the usual methods of sitz bath , aloe vera , etx but nothing worked

then all of a sudden I started to get burning there which is something I have never had before with fissures. things got alot worse and the pain was bad. it led me to depression and I then went to a consultant who said he would look under a camera to see what's happening. under the camera they said they can see the fissure but its healed so they did nothing. however after the camera it got worse and eventually I got the botox procedure done

now I have read alot of negative stuff on these groups. I guess everyone is different.

however I am scared it will return which I been told it can and also at the fact that physcholoigally I still feel there is an issue if that makes sense. I think because I have suffered so long my brain sends messages to me that there is still an issue

hard to tell if it's been a success if that makes sense as I had the botox only 3 days ago

I'm in the uk and what I would say is this should be treated as an emergency ad the pain levels are horrendous. when I went to accident and emergency they turned me away saying they cant do nothing !

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i 100% ferl your pain the pain levels you feel this should be treated as an emergency i think im going to pass out sometimes its so bad.

im going on monday for 2nd lot of botox think i need sphinoctomy but they want to try botox again

ive not worked for 2 months it is extremely severe

i cant walk i get such pressure pains when i do pottering around house is all i manage

• Posted

Hi can you let us all know if the Botox works the second time around I’ve never heard of it ever working for anybody yet

• Posted

Hi I know exactly how you are going through, I had 3 tears from constipation during pregnancy. I had 3 treatments of botox and the internal spincterectomy op. I suffered 9 years!. It was horrific. At the time following op, it was very pain but I'm now 5 years free,! I never let myself get constipated as I don't want to have to go through that horrendous pain ever again. They say the op is more successful in men but I seem fine. X good luck

• Posted

you'll know if botox has worked or not after 2 months. the botox peaks at one month mark and usually lasts 2-3 months.

i've had botox twice. it healed one of my fissures that was only some months old. however, it never healed my chronic years old fissure. so this made me think botox can work for minor fissures but not deep chronic ones. although my friend had a chronic year old fissure and botox managed to heal her completely.

botox has a 60% success rate which is not great.

if it fails, push for the LIS, it has a high success rate and is the best treatment for fissures.

• Posted

I'm no expert but I think the key is keeping stools soft. as long as they are soft the fissure shouldn't reappear.

my consultant told me my fissure was partially healed and he still gave me the botox to repair the bit which wadnt healed

I have heard no consultant in the uk actually likes doing LIS surgery due to the risks involved which are irreversible

• Posted

LIS is the gold standard for chronic fissures. the risk of a bit of incontinence far outweighs the life changing pain of a CF!!!

• Posted

my consultant said the issue with LIs surgery is that its irreversible. once it's done if it doesnt go to plan then thsts it you are stuck for ever . hence why they are so reluctant to do it and rather try as much botox as possible. based on this fact I do see their point to be fair

fissures are a nightmare that's all I can say .

I will say though dont knock botox until you try

I know 3 people who had botox for this illness and they all stated it was worth it and helped as oppose to cause more injury. yes there is that risk it will return but I think dulcoase and senna will.help.you during those days where your stools r hard . also try prune juice and warm.water first thing in morning

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering how long people had to wait for botox? I saw CRS last January - had the nitroglycerin ointment for 3 months, did nothing . Saw CRS end of April for follow up and was referred for Examination and Botox. I chased up late summer and was told waiting list was exceptionally long but I was definitely on it. It's been 8 months now! surely this can't be right? I've left another msg yesterday chasing it up. Anyone else had to wait this long? I've had bad flare ups and periods of healing during that time - I just want to get on with my life . I'm in Essex

• Posted

hi I am not far from essex at all .

you will need to chase the surgeon up . contact his seceatrory and ask for an appointment .

there is a lot of negative things on botox here . I am 1 month post botox . dont get me wrong there is a chance after the 3 month mark where botox wears off I may be back to square one .

howwver the botox injection has allowed me to reiturn to work . before the botox I couldn't do anything and was off sick at work .

I find the key thing is keeping stools soft dulcolax does a great job with that. also in the morning as soon as I get up I find drinking a pint of warm water also helps bring the pressure on

good luck . which essex hospital is it you are waiting on ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.