Anal fissure. I’m scared of surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am so scared! 52 yo healthy active female, been suffering from anal fissures for 7 yrsi am in the begining of yet another super bad tear been crying this morningordered more nifedipine and lidocaine having my natropath call it in sit baths...you know the drill...been to a colo tectal doc who recommends the LIC I am afraid of pooping and farting spontaneously is this a thing??

thank you in advance for your caring responses

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Don't fear surgery. It's not worse than the fissure. Once you get the LIS surgery, you will wish you had it sooner. I also had a fissure for several years. I kept delaying going to the doctor because of embarrassment, then I kept delaying LIS due to fear. All this delay just made my fissure deeper, with lots of scar tissue, and more difficult to heal. In the end I had 2 LIS surgeries. First one failed because the CRS didn't cut enough muscle. Second one was successful. After op, my fissure healed around 6 weeks, though pain went away after several months due to all the nerve damage. There was no leakage or farting issues.

• Posted

Hi Jodi,

I got my LIS surgery 12 days ago, it might be too soon for me to say anything but I have to mention that I've never had any incident so far.

• Edited

had the surgery last Saturday will do it all over again just to have the best sleep of my life . you wont feel a thing. before you get your op done before you get back having a life

• Edited

Jodi, I had my LIS and skin tags removed in October 2020. 100% successful. I had a fissure issue for 6 painful years. Do it. 7 years is enough. You will wish you had done it years ago. My surgeon had me do an anal manometry test to make sure my sphincter was strong enough to handle the surgery. He said I was so strong I could crack a walnut in my ass! He actually was a little unsure it would work because of how tight my sphincter was. I only went through with the surgery because I had to strain every time to get my stool out in the last 6 months and I was nervous I would give myself an embolism. All of that is behind me. No more pain, no more strain. Just regular pain-free toilet trips like it should be. Get the surgery now. You will be so happy. But if you are worried - get the anal manometry test first and make sure you have a top colorectal surgeon like I did. Even if you have to travel out of state - get the best! You don't want permanent anal problems!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.