Anal fissure - looking for any success stories on Kenalog procedure??

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello - I am new to this forum but have tried most tips others have posted (changed diet, increased water, stool softeners, used various topical creams - Nifedine, hydrocortizone, etc.). While this helps some, the pain (like passing glass during BM) comes back. At this point, I believe I have a chronic fissure (or at least I am very prone to the condition) since I have had this on/off for years. First started with stressful job, then I think it healed but came back again during/after pregnancies, and now latest trigger was from round of antibiotics I was taking (for unrelated condition). I have not tried botox but not sure that would help as I do not have spasms - just intense pain during and after! I recently read about Kenalog procedure that is non-invasive (involving dilation and injection of steroid into fissure) but since procedures is relatively new (a few years I think), have not seen or read any "real-life" reviews or experiences so I am interested if anyone has done this procedure and had any success? many thanks! 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had that procedure done MARCH 14th, 2019. I am still going through intense pain after each bowel movement. As fas as bleeding that has almost stopped. I'm not yet a success story but hoping I can share good news for everyone going through this horrible experience. If this fails there is always LIS. The most painful part is the sphincter cramps 😦 HOT water sitz bath helps and shower sprayer hooked up to my faucet. I hope you are successfully healed completely.

• Posted

for those that had the procedure when will the pain after bm subside. i am on day 3 from surgery and doing well except for major pain after bm. also are you following a high fiber diet post op?

• Posted

He didn't want me on high fiber, did he tell you he did? I do lots of water and 1 or 2 stool softeners a day.

I'm 6 weeks out and the pain has consistently gotten better. I had a couple setbacks with a tough bm and some bleeding I thought was much, but it all has improved. Every time I got down or questioned whether it worked, it seemed to improve within a couple days. I still have very minor pain after bm, but like i said it has gotten progressively better. I still soak 2x and after if I can, but it's harder being back to work, but it definitely made a difference early on. As hot as you can stand for 10 mins seemed to help a lot.

• Posted

Hi rob2728, I had the Kenalog Protocol done March 14th 2019. almost 5 weeks give or take. I have much less pain even during or after BM. I use hot water from a shower sprayer for as long as it takes for the cramping to stop then 10-15 min sitz bath. high fiber diet is not recommended but Probiotic can help if your gut if needed. I take pain meds only If the fissure is badly irritated but a 20 min sit down on a heating pad helps alot! you will definitely want to use one. especially if you sit at a desk all day. I'm happy so many here give great advice but I know how subjective it is. so I hope you will manage you AF with lots of care. I tried Magnesium citrate but it over stimulates my bm. Also you have to be aware of interactions. I hope you find relief very soon.

• Posted

i was on high fiber before and he doesnt recommend it but he didnt want me to change my whole diet. i take a little less fiber and also miralax

hot bath is only soothing thing

• Posted

hi. i am healthy 42 yr old busy mom and just had the kenalog procedure done 3 weeks ago after suffering for a year and half in pain. i was very nervous before the procedure because i didnt know anyone personally who had done this procedure... the first week i was pain free (on prescription pain med) because i didn't have a bm but i took colace and stayed home....was a bit bored. the second week i also stayed home but was a bit painful for a few hours after bm but otherwise i was fine and able to make dinner and take care of my five kids. (husband bathed the little ones)...

the third week there is no pain after a bm. and im off all pain meds. I still feel the cut a drop occasionally but its a miracle that i am able to sit without shifting from side to side. i am very careful to take a bath or do a sitz bath 2-3 times a day including after bm's. i also use kirkand flushable wipes after bms. I have ibs and changed my diet so i dont need to take any stool softners or miralax. i am off gluten, coffee, chocolate, caffeine and dairy. ive increased my fiber and water intake and i feel great and lost weight. i eat the following

breakfast: quinoa cereal with almond milk and blueberries or eggs with mary gone crackers

lunch: salad with quinoa or tuna

plain almond yogurt with hommade granola (oats. sunflower seeds and pure maple syrup)

supper: protein with cooked vegetable and veg soup

snacks: peanut freedom bar, almond butter balls (homemade), light popcorn and fruit

the fiber makes me feel very full so i am not hungry and there in minimal or no preparation for all the food i am eating. Quinoa is the secret to healthy beautiful bm's.

look, life is more exciting with chocolate, danishes and pizza but theres nothing worse than having to go for a surgery that was due to an unhealthy diet and preventable.

i hope all this info helps someone..especially those of you who are skeptical..Trust me, i only look for top doctors and he came highly recommended by all those i asked....i cant thank dr feingold enough...gotta think of what to buy him as thank you gift!

• Posted

Hi Sheryl24,

Thank you for sharing your Kenalog Protocol surgery. I wish you a speedy healing. I am almost completely healed but I still have moments of sensitivity with dull pain. Not much can been be done but allow time to continue the healing needed.

If you dont mind please send me the location of Dr Feingold in a message to me. For some reason the forum blocks that in a post.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.