Anal fissure nightmare had Botox injections

Posted , 1 user is following.

Like everyone else in this group, I am living in this nightmare caused by an anal fissure. Glad to find this site as it helps people to feel like they’re not alone. It’s not something you can really discuss with anyone but those closest which makes it so hard. 

I have Fibromyalgia so I am no stranger to pain, particularly of the chronic variety. As part of the Fibro, I have chronic IBS with mainly diarrhea and occasional constipation. I believe this is what caused the fissure.

This pain is the absolute worst I have EVER experienced and I include childbirth in the mix. I have been dealing with this problem now for about 6 months. I thought initially that I had a hemorrhoid that maybe was thrombosed. In past, home treatments would clear up the problem in a few days, maybe a week. I also made sure to keep my stools soft through diet and taking Metamucil twice a day with plenty of water. Things improved slightly on and off for a bit but never cleared up then about 6 weeks ago it was bad enough that I finally went to the doctor, which in hindsight I should have done much earlier. She diagnosed a hemorrhoid and referred me to a colorectal surgeon for a “simple and painless” procedure to band the hems and have a colonoscopy. All I can say is that after that procedure I was in absolutely excruciating pain! They offered me regular Tylenol (what a joke!). After 2 weeks of horrific daily pain lasting several hours after BMs, I contacted the clinic and the doc said it sounded like a fissure. I believe the colonoscopy made it worse, probably tearing the fissure even more. He examined me to verify and prescribed a channel blocking cream to use for a week until my next appointment. In the meantime, he presented the treatment options starting with the cream then if this didn’t work I could have Botox injections or the LIS surgery. I didn’t like the risk of permanent incontinence despite the odds being quite low (he quoted 8% but some other medical sites say it could be as high as 20%) so I opted for the Botox injections. As an aside, this procedure and the Botox is not covered by our government health insurance and the Botox itself is not covered by my health benefits. I had this done 5 days ago and I did not think the pain could be worse but it was! There is so much swelling and pain that I now have 24/7. At least before the injections the pain would subside in the late afternoon/evening and would not interfere with my sleep. My poor husband is beside himself with the frustration of seeing me in this kind of pain everyday and powerless to do much to alleviate it. 

I am am pretty much bed bound all day now. I have missed so much work and my whole life revolves around managing the pain and care of this condition! I am at my wits end... it’s so depressing. I cancelled a much anticipated holiday due to this.

I feel somewhat better today, although I say this with caution. I am curious to know what others experiences are with the Botox injections, how long before this “kicks in” so to speak? The internet is full of conflicting info with some sites saying it could take up to 4 weeks to feel any effect. I am praying this procedure will bring an end to this suffering. 

Any insight would be most appreciated. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.