Anal fissure with pain/bleeding but without spasms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had an anal fissure for 6 months now. I read so many posts from people reporting spasms for hours after a bowel movement. I do not get the spasms. I do suffer extreme pain (feels like passing rocks or glass) when having a movement, but the pain goes away immediately. I also have bright red bleeding ranging from one spec half the size of a little fingernail to bigger than the size of a half dollar on the toilet tissue. The bleeding concerns me the most, as I think it might not be due to the fissure at all. My OBGYN referred me to a surgical group after taking a look at some photos I took of the blood. A nurse practitioner at the surgical group took a one second glance at me and said I had a partially healed fissure. She set me up for a botox injection after I told her I had tried everything in the book (watching my diet, eating high fiber foods, using stool softeners, nitroglycerin, lubricating ointments, sitz baths etc) but nothing has helped. I read that the purpose of botox and LIS is relieve the spasms associated with fissures. But without the spasms, will this do more harm than good? I was refused a colonoscopy due to the fact that the fissure had not healed. I have looked and do not see tear myself even with a magnifying mirror. Anyone else experience a fissure without spasms and and how was it resolved? I guess I am not convinced my bleeding is actually from the fissure, and I am terrified it is from something worse...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Heather I don't get the spasms either thank God. But my doctor gave me some suppositories and told me that if that didn't fix the problem he would shedule me for a colonoscopy(he said nothing about it being healed to have it done). I'm schedule to have one on June 29th. My fissure has been bothering me for about four months. There are days when I have no bleeding and days that I do. It just doesn't want to heal completely. It's now a teeny tear, but just enough to give me pain during a BM. I'm nervous about the colonoscopy because of the issues I'm having. I've had one before, so I'm not nervous about the procedure itself. I'm going to ask my doctor how to resolve this fissure.

• Posted

Hi Juanita, Thanks so much for the response. I really would like a colonoscopy as well to rule out any other causes. I have called another place that specializes in colorectal surgery and have an appt on July 20. I am very nervous about the whole thing. I am just skeptical of the blood coming from a tear I can't even see. Meanwhile my whole day is structured around drinking plenty of water, sitz baths and making sure I don't eat foods that exacerbate the problem. It has become a complete change of lifestyle for me. Please keep us posted on how your appt goes for the colonoscopy and what your dr recommends as to the next steps in your treatment....

• Posted

I know how you feel. I dread having a BM in the mornings. My day also revolves around my butt! Lol! Trying to keep your stool soft and changing your eating habits. Right now I'm using Dr. Butler's hemmorhoid and fissure ointment in my rectum plus a combination of lavender, tea tree, peppermint, and cypress oils on the tear. When your rear is bothering you it's all you can think about. I will keep you posted.

• Posted

I bought Dr Butler's cream as well, a few months ago! It did not work for me so I went back to the nitroglycerin prescribed by my OBGYN. I just purchased Forces of Nature Fissure Cintrol because of all the good reviews on Amazon. It is more of a mixture of oils than a cream. I have only used it twice, so I am not sure if it is working-- I bled a teeny tiny bit this morning and still experienced pain with the BM. I will let you know if I have any success with it!

• Posted

We are doing the same thing! I ordered the Force of Nature Fissure Control along with the Dr Butler's! Lol It didn't work for me though, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I've only been using Dr Butler's for one day so we'll see.

• Posted

Hello I have similar issue...small year, pain during BM but no spasms. Tried creams...did Dr. BUTLER or forces of nature's oil work? Or did you end up getting surgery? Let me know, thank you!

• Posted

Dr. Butler's worked. But I found something better(for me anyway). It's called HemoTreat. You can get it in suppositories or cream(I use both). It cleared up my fissure faster than Dr. Butler's. I didn't like the way my other Gastroenterologist treated me. So even though I'm doing well I've decided to see a Colorectal doctor. This last flare up healed pretty quickly and it was my fault I had some VERY spicy Indian food and I paid for it dearly. You can get the HemoTreat on Amazon. It says it's for hemmorhoids and other anorectal problems.

• Posted

Hello! I started this thread way back last year in the height of my symptoms and distress. Just wanted to let you know what I did to finally get rid of my fissure without surgery. I have been symptom free since July 2017 after having a chronic fissure for 9 months and was scheduled for botox consultation and a colonoscopy that would have cost me $4000. Morning routine--get up, apply hemmorhoid cream as lube before having a bowel movement. After bowel movement, take a 20 min sitz bath (I did not use Epson salt of any kind--it has a drying effect that makes the problem worse!) Daily routine--breakfast-All Bran cereal, avoid meats especially chicken and steak, avoid low fiber bulky foods like pasta and rice, eat lots of high fiber foods like veggies and potatoes, drink water all day long to stay hydrated, and drink at least 32 oz after every meal and right before before bed. Before dinner--take two stool softeners (I used Pericolace which my dr said was absolutely safe for as long as I needed to use it) Bedtime Routine--Another serving of All Bran, 20 min sitz bath, apply a tiny drop of Nitroglycerin cream as prescribed to me by my dr...I started this routine starting May/June 2017 and lately have begun eating meats again without issues, eased up on water intake, stopped doing sitz baths...so far so good, fingers crossed. Wish you the best of luck with your own healing!
    • Posted

Thx for detailed reply and sharing tips that worked for you...really gives me some hope too. Question - you mentioned starting new routine/diet last year..do you remember how long you did it before you had pain free bowel movements? A month, 2-3, etc?

And since then would you ever have any set backs? I have up and down days and wish i knew when i would stabilize. I am in constant fear of using bathroom as I never know quite what to expect though trying to keep to strict diet. Let me know your thoughts on above, thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.