Anal fistula

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I'm new to this discussion group. I got an abcess nearly 3 years ago. I've now had surgery 8 times to try and resolve it. My surgeon says it's a complex fistula. He has tried leaving them open , cutting seton suture. At the moment I have 2 seton sutures in. I'm due yet again to go back in for surgery. He is talking about trying glue or a flap procedure. Has anyone had either of these and what the success rate is. Like you all my day to day life is non excitent. The good days are good . The bad days I'm house bound. My surgeon said after a colononscpy I don't have chrons, it's just a chronic anal fistula. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

sorry to hear of your problems. All I can offer is sympathy as I am currently walking around with one seton after surgery to lay open my fistula in October. A few days before Christmas it started getting really painful again and I've spent the holiday on antibiotics to try to clear up the problem. I am due to see the consultant again but still waiting for an appointment (too many patients and not enough clinics I'm told)

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear that. I have been told by my surgeon there is no point in antibiotics as they do not help the fistula only the infection that it causes . So I have given up taking them . I have to back in for more surgery in about 6 weeks. I'll wait and see what happens then xx

• Posted

Yes, antibiotics were really to help fight possible infection/ recurrence of abscess which was giving me some pain and discharge (Yuk!)

This is a really horrible and debilitating problem which Imhad never heard of before developing my first abscess a couple of years ago. Let us know how you get on - especially if you strike lucky next time under the knife!

• Posted

Yes I have had the glue surgery 3 times and failed. The key of healing is clean diet. If you take pain killers make sure your taking enough Mirlax to keep the stool loose. If you have the glue surgery Don't laugh a lot. I know sounds weird but it you laugh really hard you could blow air right through the fistula. Get the flap surgery if you can. Make sure your on antibiotics before and after. Don't get the surgery if your inflamed down there. Clean diet is a must. Take tumuric as well. Get better. My life sux at the moment now a has been for the past 6 yrs fight this. Good luck. Jeff

• Posted

I have had two fistulas and several surgeries for same. First fistula they used glue; didn't work. Was horrably painful right on my rectum. They drained it felt so much beter. Never completely healed; had to where a sponge 4X4 pad changed several times a day; went on for about three years. Then I got another fistula; huge about half size of my fist they drained this one as well and put big curly drain tube in. Took those out after a few weeks and put thread like drain tubes in for a couple months. Was doing an excellent job of draining. But thats my problem still draining after seven years. I use  like I said befor 4X4 sponge pads changed several times a day. Doc says he can't do any thing more unless I want deep musel surgery that will cause major incontance. Obviously don't want that. BTW I am a type two diabetic which dosent help. I have to wear dark pants because sometimes leaks through sponge and onto pants; very embarasing. I am not in any pain, it's just inconveience. Don't have a sex life and when in gym have to change pad in toilet area. Getting to my point if any one out there knows what I should do, please help.

• Posted

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The issue is inflammation and needs to calm down but it's hard because stool gets in the fistula. My Doc wants me to think about getting the bag and then repair the fistula during that time. I just get get myself to do that. So I have propose to do the glue surgery then once it fails quickly do the flap surgery. If you want any change start with your diet. Clean, organic, protein smoothie, take Turmic, and study up on anti inflammation herbs/ foods. I have crohns and I did meet a girl online and she was ok about it. She's a nurse. So maybe aim for that? Good luck buddy. God bless

• Posted

Hi sorry not updated recently. Still waiting to go back in for my next op. Can I ask does anyone else get joint pain all over there body and muscle cramps on there calves. It's gradually getting worse. I feel some days I struggle with basics like moving around. At the moment my neck , hands and legs are the worst. I've tried putting heat packs on them. Back taking codamol 50/300 to no avail . Any help would be appreciated x

• Posted

I've had an anal fistula for 9 years now, let me know you one thing and that is antibiotics won't cure a fistula, it will only help get rid of the infection. Fistula isn't an infection, it's an abnormal tunnel connecting two places together which aren't suppose to be connected. Only way you can sort of get rid of it is through surgery and different people have different luck on them. Another option is to live with it, you can theoretically make the fisula go into remission, so it discharges less and has no swelling or pain at all which will lead to a better wellbeing of life. To do is to make sure to watch what you eat. I've stopped eating red meats such as beef for the last 5 years, including peppers, lemons and lime. I had to go through countless trials and errors and finally found out that these foods caused by inflamination and discharging. Once I cut them out, I had a pain free fistula, I can lead a normal life and do what I want. Find out what you can and cannot eat and I promise you will live a better life than performing countless surgeries on your ass making it look like a failed Kardashian.

• Posted

I'm in the exact same boat. I think my diet is perfect but maybe it's not. If I can get my inflammation down for two months I can get the flap surgery. So please tell me your exact diet for it not to flare up. Thx

• Posted

Honestly the way I found out it was my diet was when I visited a homeopathic doctor, they gave me some bs medicine and promised me it will heal my fistula but they also gave me a list of foods to avoid. I was sceptical at first but the countless years of pain with this disease made me go through with it, I avoided all the foods on that list, that included - Red Meats (lamb,beef), lemon, lime, peppers, raw onions, prawns, mustard seeds. Surprisingly after a year I did not have a single flare up or swelling. After a few trial and error sessions over the 2nd course of the year I figured out that I can eat lamb without any consequences, prawns and raw onions. The rest can still affect me, so I avoided them. Beef in particular can seriously beef up the swelling and pain (excuse the pun). Also avoid spicy food, it can cause you to go toilet the next day and can cause some aggressive bowel movements which can affect the fistulas in the surrounding area. I don't smoke I did hear from a trusted source it can cause inflammation of the fistula.

I would recommend avoiding the foods I mentioned above as a starting point, try it out for a couple of months, if you don't get any pain or swelling than great, then slowly try bringing the food back into your diet and find out which one causes the problems.

Let me know how you go on.

• Posted

Hi Killa,

I am interested in the list of food to avoid that you mentioned.

As I had an anal fistula surgery done about a year ago, but have constantly flared up. And I found out that if I avoid pork and some other food, the flare up seems to lessen.

But recently it flared up again, to be honest some times I feel lost and confused that if I have been eating anything that I should avoid unknowingly.

It would be great if you could share some tips and perhaps the list of food to avoid too.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.