Anal Fistula: A Successful Surgical Procedure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I am a Zambian married male, aged 37 years old. I developed an abscess near my anus region in the year 2015. The swelling and pain with deposits of blood after bowel movement kept on reocurring on a monthly basis until this year (2018). Thats 3 years' of continuous pain on the anus.

This was a very disturbing, irritating, painful and an uncomfortable situation. I was embarrassed to talk about my disease, especially that i did not even know what it was. The only person who knew about my condition was my wife. She has been there for me, I really appreciate her support. She encouraged me to seek medical therapy but for some reason, I was convinced that I needed surgical therapy. I actually thought I had external hemorrhoids. Hence, when I finally went to the hospital I deliberately made an appointment with a Surgeon who diagnosed me with a High Fistula in Ano (also known as; High Anal Fistula) on 8th June, 2018. This meant that the normal surgical fistulotomy procedure would make me suffer from bowel movement incontinence. This is because fistulotomy is ideally - scrapping off the infected area. Besides, the wound on the sphincter muscles would be re-infected by my feces.

Therefore, my surgeon gave me two options;

1. Diverging Colostomy Procedure;

which has recorded a 100%

success rate.

or

2. Seton (Stitch) Suture Insertion;

which has a risk of Anal Fistula

reoccurrence.

Those who know what is meant by diverging colostomy (popularly known as; Bowel Diversion Therapy) will agree with me that it is a scary procedure with a bit of mobility challenges in the early weeks after an operation. What put me off about it is the fact that I would start moving with a pouch (colostomy bag) attached to the outside of my abdomen (belly)meant for disposing feces. That seemed to be restrictive and highly inconvenient for me.

Therefore, I went for plan B; Seton Stitch Insertion. This surgical procedure is done in a series of separate procedures of tightening the Seton. The idea is to have the Seton stitch to cut through the anal sphincter muscles at a slow rate, allowing the fistula to be pulled out of the anal cavity steadily. This, therefore, allows the anal cavity to heal by fibrosis.

My surgeon inserted the Seton on 19th July, 2018 and I was required to be visiting the hospital every two weeks for routine scheduled tightening of the Seton, allowing it to slowly cut through my anal sphincter muscles until it completely cut through on 3rd September, 2018.

This period (19th July to 3rd September) was the most painful period of my life so far. I won't lie, tightening the Seton stitch provoked excruciating pain. I was taking strong pain killers (Powergesic) to alleviate the pain on my sphincter muscles.

The whole surgical therapy process took only 8 weeks!

I have continued with Sitz Baths using Himalayan Salts until I go for my final Review on 17th September, 2018.

I would recommend this surgical therapy of cutting Seton Stitch Insertion to anyone out there who is suffering from this disturbing disease called High Anal Fistula.

My body has completely healed. I feel as good as new.

Don't give up. Continue looking for a lasting solution.

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Thank you so much for this account.  I had my perenial abscess removed two weeks ago, and seton installed...going to the toilet is agonising and I'm told I cannot exercise, which is causing stomach issues, as I need to exercise to keep my bowels moving.  I can't wait for this to be over.  I am allergic to strong painkillers too....so I'm in constant pain.  Your story has given me heart.  thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.