Anal fistula help (new, do not want surgery)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

About 16 years ago I had a couple scenarios of having abscesses in my buttocks area. They were popped at the ER and it was extremely painful. Years went by, and I never had another abscess but I developed a fistula. I mostly ignored the fistula, until recently, I went to a colorectal surgeon doctor and had it diagnosed.

Now I am lined up for an MRI soon to examine in better detail how bad it is, and I opted to have the MRI without any contrast dyes. I am paranoid about the contrast dye and health consequences from the dye.

I am type 1 diabetic. I do not have any digestive diseases that I know of: no Crohn’s or any other serious disorders like those. I am a 32 year old unmarried male.

My fistula never hurts. It is like a mini lump that comes and goes in size. It usually drains a small amount of puss when squeezed but it is never painful and it is not overly messy, I just clean it up as it drains. This fistula lump has been there for maybe 12 years or so.

Recently I asked my colorectal doctor if there were any natural ways to solve the fistula and he did not say anything, he did not say yes or no, he just moved on and did not answer that question. He is in the business of doing surgeries.

I have reviewed some ways online to treat this naturally. One involves using all this concentrated oregano oil, and I have smelled the stuff before and it totally reeks. I could not imagine going around smelling like oregano for weeks on end, so I would rather not use oregano products.

Questions:

Can I just go on living with this fistula without getting the surgery? Or will it eventually develop into something much worse?

Are all of the post operation nightmare stories all true? This sounds like a total and complete nightmare to have this operation done! I am scared.

Do most fistulas really hurt to have? I ask because mine does not hurt, so I wonder if I can just continue living with it? For how long? Does it develop into something much worse?

What is the success rate with just doing a special diet and doing sitz baths? Is it absolutely impossible to heal a fistula without the surgery?

From my research so far, it sounds like just about everyone is going ahead with the surgeries? Is there a way to not get the surgery?

I have one year of health insurance to pay for this but I am totally not trusting of most doctors and I lean more towards naturopathic solutions.

Thank you for any helpful advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am in the same boat. About 20 years ago I had an abscess popped at the ER. On and off for years, I felt like something was draining or air was passing through where the abscess was cut, but paid it no mind. I sometimes have slight pain but nothing excruciating or long lasting. I recently googled it and now I'm wishing I didn't. Wondering if you had the surgery or are just dealing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.