Anal Fistulonomy Post-Op 5 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had anal fistulonomy surgery about 5 days ago. The pain for the most part has been manageable, except for after passing a bowel movement, then the pain is excruciating, sometimes I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I've been taking "hydrocodone and acetaminophen 5-325" every 4 hours for pain, but it doesn't really seem to do much.  It almost feels like my stool slides along my wound, causes the pain to become even more intense. (My stools are definitely soft enough, I'm using stool softeners and haven't had to strain at all). After my BM I try cleaning with wipes, but sometimes the pain is so intense I can only do a sitz bath. I'm worried that I'm not getting the wound clean enough, as there is usually debris in the sitz bath even after doing it a couple times. My surgeon's office is closed for the weekend, and I'm pretty sure that as long as I don't have a fever I don't need to go to the ER. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this, or experienced this pain before and about how long until I can pass a BM/clean the wound without nearly passing out from pain? As it is I dread getting up each morning because I know it means BM. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem, I am 4 days post op now and the stinging pain after each BM is unbelievable. A hot bath is the only thing that helps me. I have been put in tramadol and codeine for a few days but also saw my gp yesterday and although I feel well in myself I had a fever so he also gave me antibiotics as a precaution. 

I am hoping this horrendous time is over soon for us both. 

Keep in touch about how it’s going. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Analprobs, BM were a bit painful in the beginning but no so much. Why don't you call your CRS just to be on the safe side.

Pain will subside. What annoys me (now at approximately 15 days) is the draining of yellow discharge which continues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.