Anal skin tag surgery - anyone have it with local anaesthetic?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered with a large anal skin tag for for number of years now after having 2 babies. I was meant to have surgery to get it removed on the NHS but cancelled the op after reading the horror stories on here and having a small baby to look after at the time. The tag is getting bigger and is a nuisance every day. I have never had an op before and I am petrified of having GA for the procedure. Has anyone had the skin tag removed using local anaesthetic? I've had 2 episiotomy which were dreadful so I'm hoping this won't be much worse. any advice greatfully received! thank you

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi there! There is definitely a lot of pain. I have had it done three times now under local anaesthetic. I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

• Posted

thank you Jade, did you have an epidural or were you injected into the area to numb it? I have put this off for so long but the tag is getting bigger and I'm worried if I don't do something about it it will continue to grow😳 when I had my app the surgeon said to have GA basically for my dignity as to where the problem is he thought it would be better being asleep however I am petrified at the thought of being put to sleep. How did it all go for you? what has the recovery been like?

• Edited

It got injected into the area to numb it. It went okay I mean it got infected twice so I had it removed 3 times but because of that I know what to do now to clean and all. Even after removal there's a bit of a bump (from scar tissue) and it sort of is a tag still? But is a lot smaller. How big is your tag? Is it causing problems with cleaning?

• Posted

it feels massive! he said it was a large tag and it's not normal to have something of that size down there. I've left it hoping it would stay the same but it seems to be getting worse. it's uncomfortable, sore and makes keeping clean difficult. It can also start to throb if ive been lying a certain way for too long at night. I'm worried that if I leave it it will keep getting longer. I read so many horror stories on the Internet about getting it done I cancelled the operation

• Edited

I think you should get it removed. You'll be fine. I can help you out and give you suggestions! There's also posts on this on reddit πŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

thank you very much! I will give the hospital a call and see if they will put me back on the list 🀞

• Edited

Yes! Just on 2/18. The needle going in to numb the area does suck but I'm happy with my result. It isnt 100% perfect but SO much better. Get your bowels soft BEFORE you get it done. Rinse only with the shower head after going poop. Keep lidocaine & triple antibiotic ointment on it at all times. I had 3 stitches, no infection. First 2 weeks do suck but as it heals it starts to look pretty.

• Posted

thank you for the advice, I think I would rather have it injected than be knocked out, he said in the letter about doing an examination and possible halo which I do not want! the only thing causing me issues is this massive tag so I don't want him poking about up there causing other issues

• Posted

just to add he said it will be left as on open wound 😱 he won't stitch it

• Posted

open wound is fine, mine was left opened. stiches may sometimes increase the risk of infection if you dont clean it properly!

• Edited

I actually had the hemorrhoidectomy back in Sept. I was sleeping for that. Left with the skin tag.

I do not have any experience with the open wounds as I was stitched after surgery & after the tag removal. I think the open wounds take longer to heal like WAY longer but I wonder if there is less scarring/nothing left over when kept open?

• Posted

he said it would be left open to reduce the risk of infection. called the hospital yesterday so she will be sending me an appointment to see him again and discuss doing it under local anaesthetic

• Posted

I think you'll be happy getting it done. Mine didn't turn out perfect...still a few weeks left but even how it looks now is SO much better and I'm happy.

Advice! Just don't look the first 2 weeks. It is going to be ugly and you'll feel depressed and regret it. Focus more on getting AND keeping your bowels soft. Don't wipe after pooping. Use your shower head. The shower head is also nice if you are sore. The hot water is soothing. Your aftercare might be different since your wound will be open but I put RectiCare (5% lidocane) and triple antibiotic ointment on gauze and kept it in my butt at all times for 2 weeks. As needed afterwards. You will go thru a lot of gauze. Mine did bleed a tiny bit the first 2 days as well. I didn't bleed at all after the hemorrhoidectomy. Soft bowels...I will always stress that!! I'm here if you need help or have any questions. Are you in USA or UK?

• Posted

I think it is necessary to look at it when you clean, use a mirror and q-tips as well as use water that is boiled and cooled down to clean your wound. The shower may not be the best bet, as you need water with absolutely no bacteria which the tap may have.

• Edited

I never thought of that! I have well water and actually had my water tested back in Dec. before having a water conditioning system put in. Now those boil advisories I see on the news for people in major cities make sense.

• Posted

You should clean with that! and blow dry your wound before putting on triple antibiotic ointments and just lightly cover it with some makeup removal cotton.

• Posted

thank you both for the advice its much appreciated! did you take stool softeners before the op to try and make sure everything was softer? Also how long would you say it was before you could get back to work? I'm in the UK. I dont mind it not being 100% I just need to smaller than what it is now! without sounding too gross I'm sure it gets longer everytime I wipe☹ I've lived with thus horrible thing for 9 years and it's really starting to hinder me now.. not so much painful but it's a nuisance and hard to keep nice and clean after using the loo

• Posted

Oh yes, get those bowels soft before you have the tag taken off. I wish I knew all I do now before I had the hemorrhoidectomy. It prepared me though for my tag removal. Did you get scheduled yet?

• Posted

Yeah for sure, I didn't take stool softeners but I ate a lot of veggies and sweet potatoes. I also drank laxative teas which sort of is a type of stool softener. It depends on what type of job you do, I only work part-time and my job is sitting, so I rested only for a bout a week. Do take 2 if you need to. How come it gets longer??? 😦(

• Posted

thank you I will definitely do that prior to the procedure! I had a letter through yesterday with an app to see the consultant early May to discuss it all. The secretary said that they are only doing Cancer ops at the mo because of covid so there could be a wait

• Posted

I've got quite an active job so will have to see how it goes and pre warn them I may be off a little longer. Its basically the skin left from when I had pregnancy piles but it has definitely got longer I'm not sure if wiping and cleaning irritates it and causes it to come out more but when I initially saw the dr he said it needed to go and it wasn't right having something so big there.. oh the shame πŸ™ˆ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.