Anal Sphincter pressure only when standing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed with a fissure 3 weeks ago. Put on diltiazem.

So now I only have a burning when I have a bm. It's manageable.

However I still have sphincter pressure when I stand up for more than 5 min. I am fine lying down or sitting on a donut pillow.

Will this go away when the fissure heals? 

I read this on a doctor website online:

"So what can cause your internal anal sphincter to be chronically tense? In the absence of overt neurological dysfunction, the most common cause of a hypertonic internal anal sphincter is ongoing emotional stress.

Emotional stress causes your autonomic nervous system to gear up to fight or run for your life. One of the consequences of being chronically amped for a fight or flight response is a tense and dysfunctional gastrointestinal tract, which includes a taut internal anal sphincter."

He says a tight sphincter causes fissures. It's not always the other way around. I don't know what to think.

Anyone else experience tightness only when standing?

Very scared this won't go away. 🙁🙁

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but I read that donut pillows sometimes makes the situation worse. I have not experienced the pressure while standing. But I have noticed that when I take Valium it relaxes the muscles in my sphincter. We are under so much stress these days, you're right I do feel like we are in constant fight or flight mode. Sometimes I catch myself with my shoulders tensed up around my ears almost and I have to consciously relax them. It's the same with my sphincter, I have to remember to relax it. Prayer and meditation helps. You may just feel the tightness/pressure because it's a little swollen.

• Posted

Having LIS surgery done helps stop the sphicter muscle from spasming altogether.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.