Ancient Stomach Medicine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Turmeric,Licorice and Ginger are ancient medicines used for the treatment of Acid reflux and Bowel syndromes .licorice has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiulcer, antifungal, and antithrombotic properties,it may have anticancer properties as well and is currently being used in test.It also help you from becoming bloated and constipated,it is very good at calming the gut acid also..Turmeric Suppresses Stomach Acid and kills such things as H. pylori, the cause of most ulcers.Tumeric is part of the Ginger family so if you can use Ginger and Tumeric in your meals each day you will be doing your stomach a good turn.Tumeric prevents many cancers forming also.Acid reflux in my experience was a symptom of inner anxiety.i took so much medicine for so long that was thrown at me without doctors trying to get to the root of the cause.My awakening began with weekly trips in an ambulance thinking i was having heart attacks,unknown to me Acid was jumping out of my gut and giving me crushing pains  topt eh chest.My life was terrible to the point i started getting panick attacks,could not go out for exercise and basically lost my life style.One night i was given Diazepam in hospital which stopped the acid,i knew from that moment my problem was anxiety.I mention this as it could help someone also,it helped me come off hundreds of Milligrams of tablets daily to just one tablet as a back up.I hope to get off that one tablet in January 2015.So this has brought me to this topic today for you and shows my journey in using healthy options to help my stomach.Try it yourself,give it a week.I would also like to give you the Braggs organic apple cider vinegar to think about,this can stop acid reflux in it`s tracks,try it yourself.One spoon in cup of hot water in morning and same at bed time.You could also try it before each meal,leave 20 minutes between meals and drink.Apple cider vinegar is good for the stomach,it stops the axcid in it`s tracks from giving you torture,it is also good for the whole body,study it on google smile.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Excuse some of my spelling mistakes as i had my little one on my lap at the time and he is very lively.

Hope i have given some help to you all.

• Posted

Hello there llmarkll,

I am glad this works for you but I would say to anything with IBS like I have be very careful.

I thought turmeric was worth a try so I tried in food I cooked at home for two days. The third day I had the worst IBS flare up I have ever had with sivere stomach cramp and constipation. I was taken to hospital and had to be given an enema to sort me out. When I told the senior ward sister what I had done, she shook her head and walked away. I have decided to avoid turmeric from now on. 

Licorice does nothing for me but seems to make my blood sugar rise quickly which I have to watch as I am diabetic.

Ginger is just like onion and garlic, not a good idea if you have IBS. If you have IBS and you don't believe me, give it a go but not until after Christmas as I would not like to ruin your holiday.

Finally, my wife reads a lot about health giving foods and suggested I tried organic apple cider vinegar, it was very good qualiy and quite expensive but I gave it a try.

Within 6 hours I was in sivere pain down my decending colon and had to lay on my left side to try and make it stop. I will not repeat what I said about cider vinegar, even though I had diluted it in water. For me any vinegar is like drinking coffee, a really bad idea.

I'm going to say the usual thing here. We are all different and respond differently to food, medicine and even stressful situations. To make matters even more complicated there seems to be many different types of IBS and the medical world does not really have a handle on it yet. They don't know what causes it and they don't know how to cure it.

All the best llmarkll, and have a nice Christmas.

Best regards

robert

• Posted

I don`t believe a word you just posted Robert. Nice try though,why you would post that i don`t really know?. It apears to be an attack ,especially as nothing you state has any evidence? Black licorice root is an ancient medicinal plant that has no calories, or "sugar", and does not cause elevation in blood sugar either and is safe for anyone to eat "even Diabetics !!. [Do some research]. In regards to Tumeric,this is also an ancient used plant related to Ginger .studies have found that turmeric could ease intestinal ailments and has been widely used in Chinese and Indian medicine to treat indigestion, skin problems, arthritis etc. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric could even ease symptoms of IBS and keep it in remission. What is more, turmeric is easy to use for it can simply be added to a variety of recipes to add spice, color and flavor. Studies at the University of Reading, UK, have assessed the effects of turmeric for symptoms of IBS in adults with no other health problems. From 500 subjects who volunteered for this study, 207 were selected and given standardized turmeric powder (1-2 tablets turmeric for IBS Irritable bowel syndromedaily) for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, the volunteers were asked to self-report the effectiveness of turmeric and other symptoms of IBS were also examined. It was found that IBS symptoms reduced by nearly 53%-60% after turmeric treatment. Abdominal pain reduced and there was general improvement in other IBS symptoms like bowel movements in almost 2/3 of the volunteers.  In regards to Ginger it is in no way as you state related or like onions or garlic?. I tis also an ancient plant used for mdicine as with those above for Stomach,digestion problems.The use of ginger dates back to ancient Egypt, India, China, and Japan, where it's been cultivated for thousands of years.Ginger is helpful for a wide variety of gastrointestinal ailments ranging from simple indigestion to severe nausea and cramps. Numerous clinical studies have documented that it provides effective relief for morning sickness and post chemotherapy nausea, and it has been shown to be more effective for preventing motion sickness than the drug Dramamine. If you've overeaten at a meal ginger is particularly helpful, as it contains "very powerful digestive enzymes". It can also increase your appetite before a meal. Ginger acts as an anti-spasmodic, helps prevent vomiting, and improves the tone of intestinal muscles. It also has a mild anti-inflammatory action.Ginger is available in many different forms, and they're all highly effective for IBS.Apple Organic cider vinegar dates back 400 B.C and has been used for many conditions.Improve bowel irregularity by removing toxins Helps to break down food more efficiently and treats heartburn.It must be organic with the mother in it.Here is the link of Braggs which is the only one i recomend.Check out the video footage of users and see for yourself the difference it can make in your life.

People get so brainwahed from doctors and pills that they forget to think for themselves and look for natural healing.These plants have been used for these specific conditions dating back>BC.. 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as they were to sites unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details. I have also moved this discussion to the Alternative Medicine group. If users do not wish to join in discussions on these subjects please do not reply. If users do wish to have discussions on these subjects please use the Alt Med group, see second link below.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398318-alternative-medicines-opinions-etc

• Posted

Dear llmarkll,

Ever statement I make on this forum is true. I do not joke on such matters. I bought the items you mentioned in a health food shop in Porthmadog in north wales about 10 miles from where I live.

You appear to have a problem accepting that we are all different and do not react to things in the same way. I am telling you that I experince sivere reaction with this foods just as I do with wheat, rye, milk, cheese, citrus fruits, coffee, fats and oils, alcohol and fizzy drinks. If you have IBS then you don't have the same type as I do. Readers need to be warned about this one size fits all approach because it is very dangerous. You will note that I often reply with "I am not medically trained and speak to your GP before trying anything that works for me" this is because I am fully aware of the dangers trying new things which are not normally in my diet. It was even pointed out to me by a caring reader that although fennel seed works for me to get rid of wind some ladies can have problems this this substance, which I did not know. However, I do know that for me turmeric, licorice and ginger as well as organic apple cider vinegar will cause me big problems. I am glad they are OK for you.

robert

• Posted

Most GP's are simply uninterested in alternative treatments which may be useful to some or not. So much so that they often won't even make a note of anything you have tried or wish to try or discuss it with you. So I am always  grateful to hear of other peoples experiences with self help measures.
    • Posted

Hi i totally agree with you.Many Doctors will not tell you of natural alternative medicine because they are part of the system.They are brainwashed and taught only in precribed Drugs and practices.The Pharmaceutical industry gets high on fat profits from keeping the ill under their control. The alternatives i have given above outdate modern medicine and worked wonders for the ancients if you research.There is 100% no grounds for any conditions resulting rom the post of Robert,if you notice he actually placed a negative to each positive i provided.All i casn say is try it yourself,Ginger is nothing to do with an onion or garlic and does not even have the same properties,it is related to Tumeric,both are non attacking of the digestive system [Basic research proves such]. They are anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiulcer, antifungal, and antithrombotic properties,such things do not cause IBS for they are Anti flare up !!!. The same is with licorice,buy the purest you can buy,black licorice,forget about fibre gel and such powders,none work as good as licorice.The Ancients swore by it [it does not affect Diabetics] so take no notice to the lies of Robert,it actually helps Diabetics!!! Google Licorice: The Candy That Fights Diabetes!!. The licorice root has been used as a traditional healer since ancient times. Certain forms of licorice root have already been shown to calm the digestive system and ameliorate respiratory ailments in humans containing substances with an "anti-diabetic effect".These molecules reduce blood sugar and possess anti-inflammatory properties. . The ancient Egyptians, Ancient Indians,China had a system of medicine that was advanced for its time and influenced later medical traditions.Herodotus who was a Greek historian in the 5th century and is Widely referred to as "The Father of History" stated that the Egyptians were the healthiest of all men, next to the Libyans", due to the dry climate and the notable public health system that they possessed. According to him, the practice of medicine is so specialized among them that each physician was a healer of one disease and no more.Egyptian medicine,eventually developed a practical use in the fields of anatomy, public health, and clinical diagnostics that we see today. So give it a go and don`t let "others" stop you from exploring better health. smile
  • Posted

Dear llmarkll,

I agree with everything you have said but you don't seem to grasp the fact that I cannot tolerate turmeric, licorice, ginger and organic apple cider vinegar. Just like there are several foods which might upset you. Many of us cannot eat cheese, chocolate or drink coffee because it gives them migraine attacks. I am surprised you have never come across this before. It's a real nuisance because before I had IBS I could eat any of these things. I really don't know what has happened to me. It is if I have become a different person. I only require about 4 hours sleep each night and my brain activity has increased for some reason. This has all been noted by my GP who simply enters it in my medical notes. I have presented him with this great list of foods which I am intolerant to which obviously includes onion, garlic, ginger, licorice, turmeric and both organic apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar and lemon juice. I must add that I have lost 7 stone in the last two years and have come off insulin requiring only metformin tablets for diabetes control.

The GP has no idea what is going on. All I can do is state clearly and honestly what is happening to me and hope that someone somewhere can tell me what is going on instead of disbelieving what I say.

So far I have seen four consultants at the hospital, two GP's and several nurses. The only thing I have got is a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, IBS and general disbelief. What can you do! Just laugh and walk away.

robert

• Posted

Wonderful informative post - thank you! I would add coconut oil as apart from its health benefits its wonderful for calming a burning throat. I find it really weird that this site deletes all links. Weird! It makes it a bit harder to track info and there is a big chance one will get it wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.