And more knee issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok, I am 3 weeks out from PKR, patella femoral.  All was going really well besides expected stiffness, swelling and Pain.  Only using a cane part time and finally slept thru the night for the first time.  PT has been going well; ROM was 123....until today.  One exercise was walking on my heels and had been doing it with no issues until today.  Now I have some pretty good Pain right above my kneecap and on either side with flexing,  therapist thinks that I have strained my quad tendon and told me to ice, elevate and stay off it for a few days.  This really has be bummed and wondering if I should call my Dr.?

Anyone else have this experience?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

No.  Follow your PT's advice.  Overworking the knee is very common in a recovery.  I did 8,200+ steps on my pedometer at 5 weeks and ended up with a "knee balloon"!!!  After that, I checked my steps religiously and never had a reoccurrence. 

In a knee recovery, there are advances, setbacks and plateaus...it is NOT a linear path.  The setbacks are easy...just back off, recover and resume.  The plateaus are the worst.  I got stuck at -4 for many weeks before breaking through.

What you are going through has no set timetable.  Therefore, expectations and the word "should" are banished from your recovery.  You will be better when you are better...no one can tell you when and you cannot expect yourself to know either.  Time, patience and work...

• Posted

I believe everything you say, Chico but it's not stopping me crying as l read it.

It's 4.30am, no sleep, iced up and stupid on meds, encased in a steel knee band. At this moment nothing will convince me l did the right thing having Tkr. I'm thinking patience is a quantity you aquire not something available in the wee small hours.

• Posted

I’m with you, have cried more in the last 3 weeks than in the last 3 years and I’m a pretty tough person! My PT guy just has to say “how you doin”? Then he hands me the tissues.......
    • Posted

Good one, Ellen, my reaction to kind enquiries is stiff upper lip lying 'l'm fine'. 

• Posted

This is for the crying...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

Just a Jedi Mind Trick.  Once you know what it is, you can just kick it to the curb.  Very common.  Don't need drugs.

Try these tips for better sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

It's a tough thing...but gets better.  Finally, here's one for your peace of mind...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Patience, time, strength and determination.  You'll be just fine.  At 19 months p/o, I can honestly say that it does get better...

• Posted

Thank you and yes it all makes sense.  In my case my lack of mobility and having to depend on others is everything.  I have LOTS of support and a very loving family but dammit I am the one that takes care of everyone else.....I can’t be down!  Yes, I know this too shall pass but as I stated earlier.....I am not a patient patient!  Thank you to all for letting me whine and complain, I’m sure there will be much more before it’s all done.....but it will eventually be done 😊

• Posted

It's time for letting people take care of you.  You are NOT in a position "to help everyone else"...not for a long while.

• Posted

Big thanks , Chico, l read your advice again and again whenever the blues strike. Your wide experience and empathy gives me the determination to do the work and get my confidence and health back.
    • Posted

Thanks much and I know.....old habits....

Struggling right now because since last Friday no exercises, nothing - per my PT guy, until Weds of this week.  Thinking I’m going to have to start all over with therapy!  Yippee...very exciting stuff!

• Posted

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.