And now for a better documentary...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Some of you may felt that Sunday's documentary was a bit light, a little bit like eating candy floss, no substance.

Here's one depicting true alcoholism in the UK, realism at its best. Four alcoholics in and out of hospital over a two month period, reality at its most real. Of the four, two die whilst in hospital and a third dies within five years (that isn't mentioned in the programme, I'll let you guess).

Some will have seen it before, I know Nicole has because she mentioned it the other day. It's a few years since I had seen it, but I decided to watch it again yesterday. The programme was made in 2006 but it holds up well to modern standards.

The doctor in it is far better and far more honest and open than the ones the other day. If you don't like to see two people pass away, you don't like seeing someone jaundiced/yellow including yellow eyeballs ro tubes coming from everywhere, if you don't like seeing someone sink a tall glass or red then promptly be sick into a bucket, then it is not for you.

You Tube, 'Rain in My Heart' by Paul Watson.

As it is You Tube, people outside of the UK should be able to view it - it is 1:38.00 long. US people will probably be shocked by the 'Dickensian' hospital.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Its very sad and harrowing.The people in it seem to have no hope.

Which one died 5 years later RHGB?

• Posted

Vanda, she was gone by 2010, the documentary was filmed 2006. I don't know for sure, but it wasn't after 2010, but I believe she did last until then. You can tell from the programme, she was never going to make it. I think she just needed to meet someone that loved her and could coax her gently into walking away from the booze. I really don't think she had much of a life.

I don't know about Mark, he was reported as doing okay and with someone.

• Posted

I have found it...and now I have to leave for therapy.....THANK YOU....I have started to watch it...and will report back after I finish it. smile
  • Posted

Huge huge apologies to anyone that might be offended by what I say, because I don't at all mean to offend, but realise I might, but I have to be honest. Such programmes don't motivate me to drink less, although they should. I just think, I'm not that bad. So I carry on as I am. Bad of me, I know. My heart really does go out to everyone in such a situation. And maybe there but for the grace of God go I.
    • Posted

I doubt you'll upset anyone, you were merely describing your reaction to it. If you do happen to watch it, I'd be interested to hear what you think.
    • Posted

What did you say?  LOL...

​Anyway...I couldn't watch it too long because it was too "slow" for me....I think our show "Intervention" is very good and works for me to see people recover in the end....and some don't make it and die as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.