And plus size women have a hysterectomy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello ladies, I'm a large lady and due to my size my consultant wants to wait another 2 months to give me time to loose weight for post op recovery, I was just wondering if anyone has been through the op who was a good bit larger and if you had any complications? X

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillygirl, I am of the larger variety, I had a hysterectomy done vaginally 12 weeks ago and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever, I'm not saying that my surgeon and specifically the anaesthetist wouldn't have preferred I was smaller than I am, I appologised to the anaesthetist but he just smiled, but no I didn't have any problems................on the 5:2 diet now, best diet I have tried.

• Posted

I'm a size 22 and I'm two weeks two days post op and no one said anything to me and I was fine 
  • Posted

Gee how disappointing.  I was told my bmi was 27 and to exercise to,lose weight before operation. I then explained that due to my anaemia I had done no exercise now for over a year. They need to take into account sometimes the reasons why we cannot exercise.  On saying that I know many larger women who have gone on to have operation. Don't lose hope x
  • Posted

Hi Gillygirl,

I am big. Size 22 ish over18st, now maybe the fact I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer made a difference, because believe me I mentioned it to the oncology nurse consultant and how it worried me, she pooh whood it and told me not to worry a lot of ladies in my condition were large, I suppose the cancer was metaphorically speaking larger than me!!  No mention of loosing weight more of getting me through the process. I'm in the clear all removed no treatment and am 51/2 weeks post key hole/ vacuum.

I was worring about the anisthetic, them getting me off the table, how I was going to manage in bed, would I be able to turn over without my sprung bed. Also that I might wake up having had an abdominal procedure as that was the arrangement, try keyhole if not poss abdominal.

my first question when I came round was had I had keyhole! Well my surgeon said I was difficult, the Reg said that translates to he couldn't work as quick as normal! I came round and only felt sick when they asked me if I could move myself across to a hospital bed, they gave me something for that and a shot of pain releif and don't ask how I lifted and shuffled with catheter drip and drain in tow but I did, and can't say I really looked back, got myself out of bed about 2am for 5 mins, didn't need anything stronger than paracetamol, found pack more uncomfortable than anything else. Made sure as soon as I was detached from tubes I took a walk every hour around the unit and also when I got home. Did the deep breathing exercises I came across. Maybe we have more risks but I came through it ok and I think I surprised the staff that I was basically pain free and on the move and in good cheer!

If your to have abdominal surgery then maybe It's more complicated in relation to having clips or stitches, and recovery will be a lot slower but I can recommend the keyhole, I was so greatfull that he persevered.

if you can loose a bit obviously it would be in your best interest, but it can be so hard, I do the slimming world plan and if you haven't tried it I can recommend it a guy in our group has lost 14st, before I stopped going in Nov he'd lost around 12, I rejoined this week and I couldn't believe how much he'd lost since last saw him, amazing wish I could find the mind set. But believe me if you like to eat you'll be amazed at what you can and loose weight.

good luck and I hope you get your op soon

xx lesley

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, I also have cancer of the womb but was told it was contained. I can't have keyhole due to the shape of my womb and I can't have viginal due to my cervix being too far back despite having children. I'm 22 stone so very large, I feel very tearful about the procedure because I had my gallstones out last year and I was in considerable pain for a month or so after. 
  • Posted

Hi gillygirl

I'm due to have op on 3rd April, I also worry about being overweight and often wondered if there were any heavier people out there who'd had it done. In my mind I think everyone is smaller than me! I m 15 st and size 20, I even asked my gyno if I would be ok for surgery she said of course but would nt touch me if my BMI was 40 plus. ( mine is 34) I m mad with myself as 4 yrs ago I lost 2 stone on slimming world diet, I am one of those people that just cannot diet at all but slimming world was really easy, it's not like a diet just healthier eating and I must say I felt much better and never had any cold ailments while I was on the plan. Stupidly I stopped going after my sons wedding and it's slowly crept back on over the yrs. I intend to go back once I m recovered from op. Good luck with your weight loss and op. X

• Posted

I was a nursing auxilliary/carer for over 20 years, we once had a lady come in for a hysterectomy and she was 26 stone! and that was 15 or so years ago, she didn't have any problems at all, with all the new methods used today keyhole/robotic etc it is easier not more difficult, I have no idea what my BMI is but believe me it will be higher than yours, my consultant didn't say a word after the surgery about things being difficult because of my weight he said everything went well, I am trying to lose some weight now, nothing like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted is there? LOL!
    • Posted

Hi, I'm still waiting for my op so I cannot really join in this discussion but my surgeon made me lose 2 lbs to get 'super fit' as he calls it for the op.  My ideal weight is 7 stone 13 pounds, and I did what I was told, I am now 7 stone and 9 pounds, have to say I do feel absolutely amazing now, just need the op.  It does seem that every surgeon and indeed hospital have their own ideas, on weight, etc and what you can and cannot do after surgery, no wonder we are all confused!  Good job we have this site and can get real life answers to our worries and problems.

Love

Jacqui rolleyes

• Posted

My BMI is 47! This is why they want me to loose weight before the operation but I'm on a lot of medications which make it very hard.
    • Posted

Lol, I'm 22 stone so I'm sure I'm heavier than you! Good luck with your weight lose now. Xxx
    • Posted

Trying to lose weight is very hard, I am on Bisoprolol for a minor heart problem and put on 1 & 1/2 stone and can't shift it, I'm a size 22/24, not that long ago I was an 16/18 which although not perfect I was comfortable with that, I am trying to lose 2 stone before I see my consultant in July but it's too slow I want to lose it yesterday! I'm not back to full strength yet since my hysterectomy which is hindering things, so exercising isn't that easy at the moment, I am walking my dogs for an hour in the morning and going on my treadmill in the afternoon, I have an exercise bike as well so I had better stop using it as a clothes horse LOL,  I have been trying the 5:2 diet sort of mixed with the F-Plan, have lost 4kgs but things seem to have slowed down now and it's times like this I reach for the bikkies....bad me frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.