And the hits keep coming!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had my LTKR exactly 7weeks ago. I'm doing really well according to my surgeon BUT in the last 5 days, (since i've seen him of course) i'm getting the most debilitating shin pain at night! It started the first night i stopped the targin tablet. I added it the next night and it was better, but since then WHAM. The aching/pain is terrible. I've been doing much more on my feet most of the day because of Christmas, visitors, etc, but also trying to ice 3x day.

I am walking more and doing extra leg work and stretches on my pilates reformer bed.

The pain doesn't happen during the day, only at night.

ANY IDEAS?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. I got very bad shin pain at about 9 weeks. It's partly due to everything still healing and trying to do more exercise. I pushed myself a little too much and had shin pain day and night. The only thing I found helped was to rest for a day and then don't go too mad with the recovery exercises. You've still a lot of healing to do and it takes a long time. I'm 12 months posted rtkr and I'm so happy I had it done, even though for the first 4 to 5 months I wasn't sure. I had pain in all different areas around my knee for a while but now I realize its patience you need the most to let everything heal. Good luck with your recovery and take your time and be patient. x

• Posted

Thank you so much! I thought oh no, another pain. I'll keep on keeping on. x

• Posted

I suspect that you've been on your feet too much especially the standing ! Don't underestimate the strain that puts on your lower leg. Try more rest periods more frequent icing and try elevating and elevate above hip height in bed - good pillow lengthwise under leg from just above knee. KEEP UP THE PAIN RELIEF and try adding in voltarol gel from knee down shin. My dr says most people try to reduce analgesia too soon and its counterproductive .

• Posted

YES I'm sure you're right! You don't realise how much you're doing as you start to get about more..especially at Christmas. I know i'm not resting enough. Thank you so much for replying.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was pretty blown away with the pain of this surgery. I didn't realize how long it was going to take to improve. I had shin pain too but I am finding it is I proving with time and that is what this surgery is about TIME. It is huge surgery and it needs time to heal it was a big shock to me, but the exercise program is very important and icing your knee.

I am at 13 weeks and it's been difficult but I have good movement and can straighten my leg well. I found if I did to much or not enough I was in pain, so you need to try pain management, by doing things for maybe 30 minutes then rest. It's very hard to this but it mite help at the end of the day when you find you are at your worst. Keep up the medication , I am looking forward to when I am able to get through a day without complaining too much . Good luck and push on

• Posted

I was the same in under estimating the pain and recovery. And yes "without complaining too much" I understand completely!

My daughter had a double lung transplant in june..she's with me for Christmas, and believe me, i especially don't want to complain too much. "pain be gone" 😃

• Posted

Hi Mary, I hope your Christmas went well and you were able to manage. I had my children and grandchildren here for most of the day and was tiring for me.

I hope your daughter is doing well, what huge operation she had.

I don't think I took on what the Dr was saying when they said you need a TKR to me. I thought after a few weeks I would be fine, but that wasn't to be. As I said I am at 13 weeks and I am noticing small changes as I go along. I am still on medication but it is slowly being cut back, I fine Voltaren is very good at the end of the day. Ice is my savior when it is bad, and rest. I hope you have a wonderful New Year and I am looking forward to hearing of your progress . There is apparently a light at the end of all of this so they tell me. Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.