And weeks post tkr can I do squats?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

8 weeks post tkr saw physio 2 days ago has added squats into regime which I have done this morning OK. However have read since that not recommended after tkr?

Day after physio painful and swollen was only able to ice and elevate only day off since op. Lol!

What have you all been told really squats

I see surgeon on Friday so am adding it to the list of questions. ? I am keen to do anything to build my muscles up . Goal to get back to cycling 10 miles at least by August if able?

Best wishes Jan

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think it depends on how you do them. My PT had me do them by hanging on to a railing or the back of a couch, then squatting back into a sitting position. The key was to not go up and down, but back and forth.
    • Posted

HI thanks for that. To be fair to my physio had me doing it in front of the mirror back into sitting position with hands out in front. I worked it into my first set of exercises this morning with 10 reps and actually found it OK. Then I Googled lol and doubted !!!

Hoping my surgeon will let me go back to Aquatone soon but guessing 8 weeks might be a little soon.

• Posted

Squats are ok but they vary on depth. Doing little ones and building up is good. Just think, sitting in chair, car, toilet. All require those muscles (quads). There are lots of exercises that allow strength build to those muscles. My PT always tells me to do fewer the right way and build up. My knees always ache and tissue swollen after therapy (which leads to poor night rest and reduced flexion) However, i have found its BETTER AND BETTER each session and recovery is improving leaps and bounds at 11wks. I see the PT once a week now and do my home program based on his advice.

Let us know what ur doc says!

Strength n healing smile

• Posted

Thanks for that. Been seeing my physio ( or PT) about every 10 days. He told me to build in squats on alternate days 10 reps alternate days building up to 3 sets of 10.

Doing about 3 to 4 hours of home regime daily already and the list gets longer!!!! 😊 That's OK when I'm off work but in reality when return to job in NHS not sure I will be able to do that much. Advised 3 months off.

I absolutely find my static bike has so helped me. I swell after PT and exercise

but ice and elevate . Have RA too so it's

difficult to know what's causing the swelling but if improves with ice guess it's OK as the therapy is so important. That's my PTS thinking.. My flexon is 110 but can push it to 120 but extension still at - 12 but have had a bent leg for over 30 years so aiming for - 5 by this time next year. Got to be realist. PT says my ham strings are good so it's something in the knee capsule I guess.

It sure is a long haul had the odd day in tears but nights worse for me getting good at online Scrabble!

Thus forum is great for discussion and a bit of humour from others which is what's needed. 😊😊

Yes will let you know how I get on have a few questions to ask him. He's a man of few words but is a reputable surgeon and will answer me 😊. If you don't as you don't know and always advise my patients to write stuff down ( I an ignorant really orthopaedics though deal in eye balls

All the best with your progress, Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan!

My physical therapist had me do squats on the Total Gym. She set the limits with the pins so that I could do the right amount of bending without going too far. This was EXTREMELY beneficial and allowed me to beef up both quads without worry that I would hurt myself.

The Total Gym is a type of plank you lay on which can be set many different ways and adjusted carefully to produce the exact results required.

At home I practiced squats as I did dishes! I would hold onto the counter and bend slightly. I would increase the bend gently. Worked good!

The quad muscles are very important! I actually never thought about how much I relied on them every day UNTIL I had my first TKR!

NEVER exercise until you feel pain! Go easy on yourself. You have been through an extremely grueling surgery. Slow and steady gives your body the chance to heal AND get stronger.

Sending lots of encouragement to you tonight! 😊

• Posted

Yes, you'll be doing squats, leg presses, leg curls etc...eventually.  Could be early for that...ask your PT and follow their instructions.  These help a lot early on...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

Eight weeks is still very early in a recovery that takes 9-12 months.  You might do it sooner but those people are the rare exceptions to the rule...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

The trick is to let go of all expectations and imaginary timetables.  This takes a year...period...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Have fun...we all did...or are doing...whatever...

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and links useful. Now to continue the fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.