Andy Murray had Hip Resurfacing but not recommended ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

2 years ago I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip, my specific condition is Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) which is the same condition that Andy Murray has.

He recently had an hip resurfacing operation.

This operation seems suitable for someone of my age (48 years) as doesn't involve replacing the whole hip.

I live in Singapore, I asked an Orthopaedic Doctor over here whether this operation is available and they told me it's not recommended because there is a potential for metal ions to be absorbed into the blood stream.

I would like to know if this operation is not recommended also in UK, is my Doctor being overly cautious ?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I quickly looked up disadvantages of hip resurfacing and came up with an abstract for an article which quickly outlined the advantages and disadvantages. The thing is, the article is from 2008, and there must be more information available now, so I think you could do your due diligence by searching the available on line literature for articles newer than 2008 (where it was stated more research was needed) and see what has been learned in the subsequent decade. You and your doctor are wise to be cautious - in a different context, look what's happened to women whose lives have been ruined by the effects of disintegrating implants and mesh.

Good luck!

• Posted

hi there! i asked my consultant the same thing and its not recommended over here anymore and was only offered to men apparently. i had a full hip replacement in August and I'm 33 it was the best thing that could of happened! new life now!

x

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the info. Good to know you had a successful operation. My Doctor has told me that they could use either a ceramic or metal head for the replacement. Did they also give you these options ?

• Posted

yes i got those options too. so i chose a ceramic head and plastic cup and metal stem. the consultant though with my young age that would be best.

it was a long recovery but worth it in the end.

x

• Posted

My Doctor is recommending ceramic because of my age too, but he mentioned there is a risk of dislocation because of the size of the head. He said I would have to restrict my movements e.g. I should not bring my leg up to my chest.

Has that ever been a concern for you ?

Also are you able to do exercises and sports. No jogging right ?

Thanks for the insights 😃

• Posted

sorry for late reply was on night shift at hospital.

theres a risk with any of them for dislocation you just have to be sensible and stick to the restrictions.

and yes one of them being no running.

the restrictions are for 6 weeks then after that there's only a few things. but you cab pretty much anything.

with ceramic theres a chance of it shattering in to small peaces when in an accident. but that is reduced if you make the cup plastic and not having ceramic on ceramic.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.