Anemia and anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I posted a week or so back when I first found out I was anemic. I have been on 210mg ferrous fumerate 3 tines a day for 2 weeks now I would say I do feel a bit better but I am still suffering bad with anxiety. I have never had any kind of anxiety or panic attacks before until 3 weeks ago now I feel like I can't shake that horrible nervous feeling in my stomach. I'm having n problems sleeping due to it. Also although I am feeling slightly better I still have some symptoms like palpitations and bit of lightheadedness every so often. How long did it take for symptoms to go away and has anyone else suffered bad anxiety due to anemia.

Thanks

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynsey - good to hear that you are feeling slightly better. I would say that with most people; feeling unwell will cause anxiety all by itself, particularly with the symptoms you are experiencing. Having lightheadness and palpatitions will automatically cause anxiety as it is very distracting. Not sure if you have had any thyroid testing done but that might be a good idea. Although, it is hard to relax when there is an imbalance going on, just try to keep in mind that "this too shall come to pass". Anemia is very annoying and unsettling but the good news is - you will continue to improve day by day. Increasing hemoglobin levels is slow but increasing ferritin levels is like going backwards but it will happen. Hang in there, better day ahead.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying I need to try and be more patient and tell myself it will take a while won't feel back to normal over night. It's definetly a hard thing to have.
    • Posted

Hi! I have this but has gotten better due to iron pills. One question. If you miss sleep does your anxiety get worse? Mine does and I wonder why.
  • Posted

I am on the same boat but worse lol. I wasn't feeling to good because i was feeling lightheaded ,headache,nauseous,lost appetite, anxious,heart palpitation, depressed,couldn't sleep because was feeling really anxious, and felt like I was going to pass out. Went to see my Dr and was told I was anemic and my thyroid was off. Was prescribe iron pills need to take 2 times a day 325mg they had me do another blood work because the test they showed me was from last yr in September but never went back to get my results.I guess that's the reason why I'm feeling really bad. Have been taking iron pills for 7 days. And still not feeling that well. I kkow it takes months to start feeling better so i guess i jave a long way to go. I am able to eat little more and I don't get lightheaded as often. What's getting to me is anxiety and depression. So you should have them check your thyroid. That could be the reason why you have anxiety. For some reason I can't take naps during the day because of my anxiety. I hope you start feeling better as day goes by. Just hang on there.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying I have an underactive thyroid and take tablets for this and they say ny levels are okay. I didn't realise anemia could be so tough do you have aching legs aswell? I found that in the past two days my legs have felt a bit weak aswell. I'm hoping the more time goes by the symptoms will start to go aswell. Hope you start to feel better soon.
    • Posted

I am not taking any meds for my thyroid yet. Need to wait for my blood results until next Tuesday. Yes my legs and arms sometimes ache! Like last night my arms were aching a little. So your not alone 😊
    • Posted

It's good to hear people have the same symptoms I've been driving myself mad thinking surley all these symptoms can't be anemia but I guess it is. I have been on levethyroxine for a few years now
    • Posted

I actually came on this forum yesterday. I wanted to see if anybody has felt Iike ithe why I am feeling. Felt good knowing that I am not alone and that once I take care of my thyroid my anxiety and depression will get better. I was told being anemic could cause anxiety and depression too. I end up being anemic and my thyroid is off but not sure if its hypothyroid or hyperthyroid. So need to wait on that. I was also diagnosed with lupus. Looks like lupus patients have issues with there thyroid.
    • Posted

Hi! I have been having achy legs too which I think is making me dizzy /off balance. I've bee feeling this way for the past two months. I was fine until I had a endoscopy done the month before and they found an ulcer and the h pylori infection. It's making me feel like I'm going crazy!! Is this normal to feel so off balance?

• Posted

Hi I have had low iron stores for a while now and Ive been on ferrous fumerate for about three months. I felt so ill before and I definitely had all the anxiety symptoms and Im convinced this was caused by the constant light headedness and palpitations I experienced. If I'm honest I'm not completely over all this even three months down the line but I do feel much better than I did. I think it is a slow process but it does get easier/better :-) Hang in there! x
    • Posted

Thanks for the positve comment. Nice to know that it will get better soon. Need to remind my self it Just takes time. Thanks once again😊

• Posted

It's good to hear not the only one going through all this has been a really bad experience I feel like I am improving a bit each day just trying not to push myself although with 2 young boys it's hard. I hope this anxiety goes soon tho I feel like I feel every little twinge in my body and start worrying. Glad to hear you feel better x
    • Posted

I found this forum really helped me. I started to think I was going crazy. I think even now some people close to me didn't even believe how ill I felt. I managed to get married in the middle of it all though !! :-)
    • Posted

Yes I was exactly the same and I have three children too. It definitely gets easier. .. I religiously take my iron and every week I feel just that tiny bit better :-)
    • Posted

This forum has definetly helped me also my husband and family are really supportive but it's hard for them to understand if haven't experienced it
    • Posted

I have 5 kids lol i jave to watch them while im feeling ill. My oldest son had an appointment for a knee surgery and took him even though asnt feeling well. I was there for about 10 hrs! The whole time i was there i was feeling weak, anxious, nauseated, tired and depressed. But had to pull myself together . I have noticed that i have been filling a little better then how i was feeling the first day i went to go see my dr .but im so looking forward in feeling way better asap. i have been on iron pills for 9 days. Are you just taking iron pills or was your thyroid also off? My test showed i was anemic and thyroid was off. But those test were from last yr in september. Never went back to get results until two wks ago that i went to go see my dr. Took another blood test .i have my app wed coming up.
    • Posted

Hi I have been taking the iron tablets for just over 2 weeks now and have started to notice a difference now. I got diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 5 yrs ago when I found out I was also diabetic. I take levethyroxine for my thyroid. It's hard when you know you need to try keep it together for kids when all u feel like doing is hiding away until feel better.
    • Posted

Yes!! How is levethyroxine working for you? I am anemic and thyroid problems. Do you know if being anemic messes with thyroid. Or is it the other way around? Both came back positive in my blood work so dont know which one is causing the other to be abnormal.
    • Posted

I have always been fine taking it no problems at the time when I started taking it I'd just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes so I was more focused on that they just told me my thyroid wasn't working properly and gave me tablets and that was it. When I was pregnant they had to give me a higher dose and I still take that now. I'm not sure if they are related when I went to the docs and they said I was anemic they did check my thyroid aswell to make sure was okay still so they maybe are
    • Posted

Oh ok i was asking because i heard some people saying it wouldnt help them. Just want to be prepared incase my dr precribes me that. Ill Thanks for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.