Anemia and lightheadedness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have now been taking iron tablets 3 tines a day for 3 weeks although I do feel a bit better I still have almost constant lightheadedness and dizziness each day which makes me feel I could pass out any minute and is causing a lot of anxiety for me. I was at my doctor today who said this probably is just because my levels won't be in a normal range yet. Has anyone else experienced this even after been on iron for a few weeks. I am getting tested for vitamin b12 deficiency on Monday as doc noticed I hadn't been tested for this yet

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I did. When my iron was at its lowest i got to a stage of being light headed and dizzy all the time... and as a result I got anxiety. I've been iron tablets 4 months now and I would say it's only recently where I don't get light headed really. It's faded off over the months but it took ages for the feeling to go and i'd say some days I still feel it a little. It was my iron stores that were low (ferritin) and apparently it can be a slow process building them back up. For me it was very slow as heavy periods were the cause. Hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hi thank u for ur reply. I didn't realise it took so long for symptoms to go away it's a long process. I have been suffering with panic attacks also think just all got me so worried about my health even tho I've had ecgs and blood tests etc It is still affecting me. I'm sure they said my iron stores wer low also and I've to be tested for b12 deficiency nxt week also aswell as ferritin and folate. I'm glad to hear u r feeling bit better x
    • Posted

I had am ecg done aswell. I was having palpitations and mini panic attacks. It was awful. I still get that feeling sometimes and I feel panicky all over again :-( hang in there though. .. It does get easier x
    • Posted

I was having palpitations also this is what started it all really. I have had a few panic attacks were I have had pain in my chest been took to a&e had ecg and blood tests and said all was okay it's just hard to accept when it happens again. Glad to hear it does get easier thank u
    • Posted

Hello, ive been dizzy and lightheaded for two months. My hb was down to 89 but Haa made its way slowly back up to 101. But ferritin is still low at 14. I am pregnant also. My b12 is also very low. I am getting very discouraged because I can't figure out what is causing the constant dizziness. Yoy said it took a few months of iron to stop feeling dizzy? What did your ferritin get to when yiu started to feel better?
  • Posted

I had lightheadedness as well as getting short of breath and racing heart rate on exertion like stair-climbing. Once on iron, it took three - four months for my symptoms to subside. It takes a long time to rebuild the iron in your body if your stored iron has been depleted. I remember being very frustrated that it didn't resolve more quickly.
    • Posted

Hi Linda just noticed your reply. I have been taking iron tablets for 2 months now I started with 3 a day but they made me so ill I'm now on tablets for indigestion and reflux due to them. I had to cut it down to 1 a day so I suppose will be a longer process for me. I do feel a good bit better still grt bit lightheaded sometimes my hemoglobin is up to a normal range but ferritin is still low is this the iron stores?
    • Posted

I've not had another blood test but I'm due to go soon. I was very dizzy/lightheaded at ferritin 16 (Iron stores)... I am still a little light headed on days... so Im interested to know what my level is now. My haemoglobin was always in normal range just my ferritin was low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.