anemia and perimenopause symptoms seem the same

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had perimenopause symptoms for about 3 months now. I got it pretty severe having hot flashes and feeling clammy to heart palpitations, chest pain, shakiness and dizziness. At a recent Gyne visit for blood work they found my hemoglobin number was below normal(it was 11.9). My Gyne said my recent symptoms are anemia related but 11.9 doesn't seem low enough to be causing these severe symptoms. Also, how am I supposed to know if I'm having these symptoms due to an anemic disorder or perimenopause? I feel like I'm going crazy and the doctor's just push me aside like none of this matters. I'm so emotional because I don't know how to treat my symptoms. Anyone else ever have this? Thank you in advance. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your harmoglobin is low, mine was 8.3, I thought I was dying, dizzy spells, feeling faint, dots in front of my eyes. Palpitations, weakness was indescribable, and if you are going into peri as well, not surprised you are feeling so ill.

I had bleeding gastric ulcers and didn't know, was taking naproxen.

Three months of Irvin tablets and I feel so much better, can't believe I let it go on so long, I think I was just so ill that getting to gp was an issue in itself.

You need to top up your iron stores, you'll feel much better.x.

• Posted

Hello, the symptoms you are experiencing are definitely related to peri menopause. The symptoms can be extensive...even effecting your mental and emotional health; sometimes to a very unsettling level. Doctors who function strictly in western medicine have very little in the tool box to treat menopause. Medications like Premarin are dangerous and are only safe for one year of use. Females have many hormones which need to be addressed. Treating one hormone doesn't work because you will still be in an imbalance. If you are able to find a doctor that works with bioidentical hormone therapy you will quickly feel like your old self again. I have been using this therapy for 12 years and feel fantastic. Zero menopausal symptoms. Contrary to what western medicine says about this therapy being unsafe studies have shown the opposite. I will warn you that if you mention this to your western Doctor he/she will become very anxious because it was not in their studies so they know nothing about itand when they know nothing about something they will quickly dispel it.

I also have anemia and some of the symptoms you are experiencing can be related to that but I would say it would be wise to find relief for you menopausal symptoms...you don't have to suffer.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes I've had this same problem, very confusing. Hard to know what to treat, peri meno or anaemia. Symptoms are very alike. Make sure you get your iron levels up then you can decide on how to treat the peri symptoms. Super strength sage helped me with the hot flashes and clamminess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.