Anemia blood results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello so I have just had a blood test and the doctor said my hemoglobin was 11 and ferritin is 2 is this low? And if so how low? I have had infusions in the past but he wouldn't give me one because he said I'm not that low but I feel worse then the previous times I've had them m.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Haemogloblin is below usual range value but probably falls into the not clinically significant bracket. Your ferritin is extremely low. Normal range is 20-200 but at least 70 is reccomended. Have you got your iron values? Below a certain range you should be referred for an iron infusion. 
    • Posted

No this doctor wasn't very talkative I had to squeeze that little bit out of him. But 20-200 is crazy I'm 2. Is ferritin levels not important to the dr?

• Posted

Different doctors diagnose anaemia differently. Some will only act if your haemogloblin levels fall because "that's the only time you'll get symptoms"which is traditional anaemia. Low ferritin indicates you might have iron deficiency anaemia. Ring reception for your results and book an appointment with a diff doctor. You need you iron tested (if you haven't already). If your below the level you should get a ferritin drip?

• Posted

Oh okay thanks I have already booked an appointment with my usual doctor I only went to him because she was on holiday and I didn't want to wait so long. Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi, just to give you an idea. My haemoglobin -- iron level was 8.3 and my ferritin - iron stores,was 1.2. My folate level was low too.

i was feeling very tired and not well at all. I didn't have a transfusion, and have been taking iron supplements for nearly three months now, and feel a lot better.

You need to find out why your levels are so low. Heavy periods? 

• Posted

Hi Laura

I have heavy periods but also my body does not absorbe iron as well as it should. It for some reason they won't investigate.

Also I can't take iron supplements as I throw up 15mins after taking them. Iron infusions seem to be the only thing working for me but they don't hand them out.

• Posted

You're not taking PPI's by any chance? They can affect absorption of iron.

• Posted

No I don't take any medication. I think it's something in my genies as my whole family sufferes with anaemia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.