Anemia Symptoms even after infusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I was diagnosed with anemia over a year ago and I was hoping I could get some advice. My doc and I tried high dose Iron tablets, but they made me feel worse than the anemia and were not effective. (Essentially, I had large, irregular periods.) So, five weeks ago I was given two iron infusions, retook a blood test and was told that, "your tank is full!" and given a course of vitamin c and instructions to skip iron supplements. That being said, five weeks later I still feel like poop.

Still feel tired, lightheaded, hard to breathe with exertion, and the anxiety too. All my numbers were within 2 points of normal or alot closer to normal except for my ferritin which was a 13 at my last blood test.

Is there any advice I can get about recovery from anemia after an infusion? Everything I've been told and/or read about said I should be right as rain by now. Thank you for any advice given!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

Sorry you are still feeling unwell after the treatment, Anaemia can be terrible and affect people differently and i can understand where you are coming from because i struggled with it for years but now okay.

You will have to boost your levels by consuming a lot of iron rich foods and supplements over a long period of time. You will need to make some changes to your diet. Iron tablets can make you feel sick and constipated with prolonged use. I will recommend a very good and non clinical book that helped me. Its pack full with advice, tips and recipes which i found helpful, check out the book on amazon Overcoming Anaemia: My Expirience.

i wish you good and complete recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.