Anemia visual disturbance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody ever had any kind of anemia cause vision problems? I've been having a nightmare of vision issues and I saw a neuro ophthalmologist today that really believes it's due to whatever is causing me to be anemic, which is still unknown. I do have low iron (33) but the hematologist says it's not what is causing me to be anemic. I'm waiting on more tests and seeing the hematologist on January 2ND. Any ideas please???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I’ve not heard of this before. I also have anaemia and the doctors are trying to find the cause after 2 years of it. If you discover the cause do let me know please. Could the eyesight issues be unrelated? Good luck.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with anemia. I've been to a neuro ophthalmology center at the university of Utah and had a ver extensive workup. They seem pretty confident that nothing else is causing these vision problems. They don't say necessarily that anemia itself is causing the issue however they are thinking whatever is causing me to be anemic is causing the vision problems. The only thing they can find as to why I'm anemic is low iron. My iron is 33 and normal iron would be from 60 to 160. This is not normal for me being a 27 year old man and having no trace of bleeding anywhere. There is something that's causing me to be anemic and at the same time messing with the way my body absorbs iron. this week I will be doing more labs B12 and several other things. I go back to the hematologist January 2nd. I'd be happy to give you any information that I get and hopefully you can use it yourself to try to figure out what's going on with you. I pray that you feel better soon I know how miserable this feels

• Posted

Yes please let me know your progress. I have monthly blood tests , an iron infusion booked for early January, and an appointment with my haematologist in March. I have had a few bad headaches so that may be a new unfortunate development. Please do let me know what happens and similarly I’ll post here if I hear anything about the cause of the iron loss in my case. Good luck!
  • Posted

Some thyroid issues can cause vision issues
    • Posted

Sorry pressed enter to early! Visual disturbance can happen with anaemia dependent on how servers it is it can cause ocular mirgraines... hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Your not alone. I’ve had anemia for 6 months now. Just waiting for next bloods to see if iron and B12 ok. My eyes have bin terrible. Dry and just feeling unstable when walking. I was due for an eye test. They told me I had dry eyes. This was because of my iron. Advice was to use optrex spray and take fish oil to improve it. He also said because of my iron my eyes have difficulty transferring for outside to indoors lights. Which I have noticed. If I’m in a shopping Centre I feel unsteady. This has bin driving me crazy. So have to wear my prescription sunglasses while walking in shops. Lights are too bright. This has helped a lot so far. Try some fish oil and optrex spray and see if this helps you. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.