Anesthitic fear

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in 10 days going to have my 3rd surgery this year. My fear of going under is getgetting worse each time. Last time i was out of control when going under. Anyone help?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It's usual procedure for the surgeon and anaesthetist come to talk to you soon after your admission. You need to tall them about your fears. They may decide to give you a pre-med, valium, to calm you down and may also promote you to the top of their list so you are not waiting around longer than absolutely necessary. If it is that bad, call the surgeon's secretary and tell her or him your concerns. You may be prescribed some valium to take earlier in the day.

I also think that the fasting before surgery can cause out blood sugar to drop resulting in us feeling nervous, shaky and stressed out. Keep eating and drinking up to the latest time you are allowed. I too have had a couple of surgeries this year. The first was fine. The second, for reasons too complicated to explain, I missed the window in which I could have my last meal. By the time I was taken to theatre I hadn't eaten for 24 hours. I felt more stressed and anxious than before although this was a comparatively minor procedure. I told the anaesthetist I thought this was due to fasting so he put some glucose through the IV.

• Posted

Thanks i am having a different surgesurgeon this time my last one did not really take any notice of my fears, but i am hoping i will fair better with this one. Thanks for the infornation about food

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.