angela34463

Posted , 5 users are following.

To all fellow travelers:  Recurrent UTI's- post-menopausal  

Succumbed again to another UTI after six months and many antibiotics.Been taking probiotics  but not tried D-Mannose yet.  Last saw G.P. on 30th May and told my urine sample was clear, but started again yesterday.  Managed to see a doctor late this p.m. and been given Cefalexin 21 tablets (3 per day).  Thought I might have cracked it after a week of cipro, but my body has other ideas!  Last infection when on holiday in Majorca.  Now have an ultrasound scan for Monday 19th June, and a  letter to be referred to a urologist.  But I had all this six years ago and had minimal answers (like many of you I realise).  I think it will be a cystoscopy next, unless the scan shows anything else.  Am so fed up, but hoping the cefalexin wil get me through next week when I am going to my grandson;s wedding in the Isle of Man.  Will have to wait and see - it just goes on and on.    

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Your experience is so loke mine and unfortunately I don't have any answers. I too saw a urologist a good number of years ago, had all the tests and nothing was wrong but still the infections persist. This year Ive had 4 infections over a period of 6 months. Sometimes the bacteria don't show but then I use my 'emergency' antibiotics that ive persuaded my GP to give me, mainly to take if I'm away on holiday. I'm now waiting to see another consultant thought I don't think for one minute that he/she will solve my problem. Ive also taken D Mannose and probiotics, all to no avail. Noticing your Majorca comment, I DO find that possible dehydration makes it more likely that Ill get one so try and drink loads on a hot day, even when you do feel thirsty, that i'm afraid is the only advice I can give, sorry.

• Posted

The fact that you are post menopausal tells me it could be lack of hormones.  My urologist told me that the urethea and bladder lining depend on estrogen, as we age and lose these hormones the lining thins out and the urethra has a lessor chance of keeping the bacteria out.  The main thing is to stay well hydrated, take preventatives..like d-manose this is a sugar our body doesn't use do it goes straight to the bladder and the bacteria adheres to the sugar and when we pee it flushes it out.  A vaginal probiotic will help too, this will help keep the PH level balanced, often times when our hormones are out of whack or non exsistant the PH levels become more alkaline making it a breeding ground for bacteria to grow down there.  Don't sit in a wet swim suit, wear white cotton underwear and if it is hot out and you sweat, you may have to change a couple times a day.  Stay clean down there, and clean thouroughly after a bowel movement.  Taking a daily probiotic helps for sure, but you need to do more if you are prone.  You do not want to become resistant to antibiotics when you have to be on them all the time....Stress can bring them on too.....I have talked with urologists, and gynocologists and these are all information that was given to me.

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. What is a vaginal probiotic please? My GP has just put me on Vagifem to give me some replacement hormones to thicken up the tissues but of course the side effect is tender breasts and I don't really like taking hormones anyway as this may increase my chances of getting cancer. But the alternative is apparently a nightly low-does antibiotic and I don't fancy that either ....

• Posted

Hi Christine, So a vaginal probiotic you can get at a health food store (that is where I get mine) They are in to be kept in the refrigerator.  Because I still get a cycle (perimenopause) I insert mine for a few nights after my period.  You insert them sort of like a tampon befoer bed and they dissolve, it is good bacteria and helps keep the PH levels in balance..and helps prevent UTI's.  I totally inderstad about the HRT (hormone replacement therapy) because my mother died of breast cancer, I have to really be cautious about estrogen replacements.  I am using a bio identical progestrone cream at the moment for other symptoms, but I have detoured off of the estrogens because of family history.  I found a great vaginal cream that has no hormones, or you could even use replense, although I am not sure there is hormones in that?  Anything synthetic that is made into a hormone you need to be careful.  I totally understand about the daily antibiotic as well.....that can't be good for the body either.

• Posted

Thank you Linda, I had no idea there was such a thing as a vaginal probiotic and will now try at Holland & Barrett to get it.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

You can also get vaginal suppositories to insert.  I insert a nonhormonal vaginal cream with an applicator every other day, and it's really helped my vaginitis. I'm trying vaginal suppositories with vitamin E and coconut oil next.    

I take (orally) probiotics daily as well to help increase the population of good bacteria in my gut, vagina and urinary tract.  It's the overgrowth of already present bacteria such as enterobacter and ecoli that cause UTI's (because your pH is out of balance) so you can never completely eradicate them with antibiotics. I also take cranberry capsules and drink two quarts of water each day.

Interestingly, women who practice indifferent hygene have less UTI's than those of us who are cleanliness fanatics.  Doesn't seem fair, does it.  

• Posted

Thanks Lynda - where do you get these vaginal suppositories from? Im not keen on the Vagifem the doctor has me on but she assures me that theyve been monitored for 20 years and don't appear to give women a higher cancer rate.And wht probiotics do you take? Ive discovered from a very recent experience that dehydration can bring UTIs on so in this current hot weather Im drinking loads and at the first sign of a tingle in my urethra Im drinking loads more to wash the germs out.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I've been on two different antibiotics now full dose for over a year. I feel pretty ill. I would be really grateful if you could also message me with any help in the probiotic department! My life is awful at present. I'm allergic to all other antibiotics, so when these two stop working for me, I guess it's my end. I have to self catheterise too which is painful and certainly no fun. If anyone can give me any helpful advice, I would be so grateful.

Thanks again.

Sam

• Posted

Probiotics are very important to keep the flora in your gut and other areas in balance.  They are very important in your daily diet, but even more so when on an antibiotic.  Antibiotics strip all the good flora in your digestive tract including bowels....taking an oral probiotic daily with a meal, but even yogurt, or Keizer are a great source of getting the good bacteria back into your system.  When your gut and bowels have been stripped, this allows the bad bacteria to get in and multiply causing more infections.  Inserting a vaginal probiotic will help keep the good bacteria in check in that area, often times with hormone changes our ph levels change becoming more alkaline and again an open door for the bad bacteria to grow. 
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

Sorry to learn that you've got another one.  Please let me know how your ultrasound went today.  Is the cephalexin helping?

• Posted

Hello Angela and Lynda

I haven't posted for about a month as amazingly I haven't had a new UTI! I'm doing my normal washing after opening my bowels, which hasn't always prevented them reoccuring in the past, but what I am doing that's new and which I think is making a difference is drinking a lot more water. Yes, something as simple as that. Because I rarely get thristy I don't normally drink a huge amount, maybe a litre a day? But I'm now making myself drink that extra litre and, touch wood, it seems to be working. Its particulary important when we have hot weather I think as I dehydrate quickly. Anyway its worth a try and such a simple solution if it works for you.

• Posted

Glad you're doing better!  I'm doing just about everything I can to avoid uti's, including drinking 2 litres of water a day.  I'm still getting uti's.  sad

• Posted

I'm sorry to her that Lynda. I expect mine will flare up again before long, I feel I'm jinxing it by saying Im currently in the clear.

• Posted

I know how you feel.  Just took another pill.  Will try supplement containing d-mannose next.
    • Posted

Hello ladies,

I'm under a professor for my reoccurring utis and he has informed me that what the problem is we get a uti and the course of antibiotics we take for it isn't long enough, hence allowing the ecoli or whichever pathogen to embed itself in our bladder walls. It then hides behind what you call a biofilm and just keeps reoccurring. D mannose works for some people to flush it out, but sadly not for me. I take 2 different antibiotics to stop the infection from taking over. It's a nightmare life!!

Best of luck to you all. Xx

• Posted

Ah, you poor thing!  Must be a nightmare for you! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.