anger and weight gain on mertazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, I have been on mertazapine for 4 months now, I was 11st when I started them I am now nearly 14st,, I exercise a lot and still can't shift the weight, I am also very angry all the time, sometimes I feel I could punch someone, I have 3 young kids and I want to go back to being the 'normal' mum I was before these, I was on 40mg of citalipram for 7 years no side affects at all, but they stopped working completely, any suggestions on anti depressants that don't cause weight gain !!!!! Rant over thanks LOL x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi karen, I have been on mirtazipine for past 2yrs, it worked excellent for my anxeity, I alos suffer with anger issues but to be blunt with you anger is a choice, when you feel angry is it becase of someone doing something and its a knee jerk reaction or is your anger bubbling away under the surface the whole time? on the weight you should try carb blockers, they fixed my 2stone !!
    • Posted

Before I started mertazapine I was never as angry, I would just get on with things, I've never suffered with anger issuesl and by what other people on the forum are saying about their anger whilst on mertazapine it certainly isn't a choicce to be so angry, all tablets work differently for different people and obviously this one isn't for me!! Defoe try carb blockers !
    • Posted

hi, i know this is a very late comment! But i just wanted to check whether or not the "carb blocker" strategy really does work! im surprised i havent seen anyone else talk about this!

But i will definitely give it a go!

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

I have been on Mirt' since last September, gained about a stone through feeling ravenous and unable to resist.  However, I feel I am "on it" now ... me & Mirt' & eating stodge are no more ... I have come to the conclusion that if I eat 3 meals a day and a fairly healthy snack in between, say mid morning and mid afternoon (with a treat at night !) I can control the craving/sometimes nausea when hungry.  It's taken me over 7 months to put on the weight, so am trying to be sensible and lose is slowly.  Mirt' has worked well for me, my biggest problem initially was anxiety which kept me awake at night, therefore causing severe sleep deprivation was like torture - I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I was on Citalopram (20mg) & Mirt'  (15 mg) to begin with which worked well, now just the Mirt'.  

I wish you well and hope the anger will subside; also I wonder if it's possible for you that the change in diet could be causing the anger, for me too much sugar makes me hot flush & feel wound.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I have heard that mirtazapine can cause rage and anger issues with some people, though not me. It sounds as though it is not a good AD for you. I would return to the doctors. Regarding weight issues, yes, mirt causes weight gain in the majority of people who take it. However, your body does acclimatise to it and the weight will level off. When this happens, it is easy enough to lose it again. Well as easy as it is for anyone to lose weight that is.
  • Posted

Hi we're you told about the weight gain some drs seem to think side effects are a secret and don't always part with the information.iv been on mirt for 11months and I haven't gained weight but iv had to work bloody hard at it.i was on olanzapine a couple of years ago and I piled on the weight I wasn't told this could happen and I know people say you eat the food but the desire to eat is unbelievable.i think it's pretty awful.anyway back to the mirt unless you monitor everything you eat you are likely to gain weight.if I were you I'd ask to come off it there are plenty alternatives.theres no point in making yourself more upset go and see your dr
  • Posted

I've only been on mirtazapine for two weeks together with 40mg fluoxetine and I put on half a stone in weight in the first week. It's not due to eating more but looks more like water retention. This sudden weight gain has put me back in terms of recovery but my doctor doesn't believe that the mirt is responsible. Haven't had any problems with temper but I am less tolerant and more impatient.ill have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.