Angina

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone understand what ' brain stem event post asystole episode' means also 'borderline left ventricular hyper trophy by voltage criteria' is please. Trying to understand medical notes , we are baffled by all the medical terms after hubby's cardiac episode and need clear answers, it's all confusing and scary right now. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The electrical activity in your husbands Heart ceased, afterwards he suffered a Brain Stem Stroke.

The muscle wall of the Hearts left pumping chamber is borderline thickened, indicated by ECG changes.

​I hope this is close to the mark smile

• Posted

'Asystole' means without (A) hearbeat. (Systole-pronounced- sist-ole-ee)) This starved his Brain-including the brain stem of blood>oxygen.

The heart has two ventricles-the left one is the strongest and his is slightly enlarged. This can be thinkening of the muscular wall (Myocardium) or a dilation of the chambers volume. This has been detected on an ECG-hence the 'Voltage criteria.' 

Hope this helps?

• Posted

Yes thank you for that, it's a little clearer. Since he was discharged he has been in hospital again with more chest pain and dizziness - was in overnight and he had a heart scan and more chest X-rays. Cardiologist didn't go into great detail but he said that part of the heart wall has been damaged and not contracting as it should indicating he has in fact had a heart attack but couldn't say when. Now we are wondering if he had it when he was having the angiogram and his heart stopped for 47 seconds, or if it happened before, we kind of think it was before when he had a massive episode of aryithmia and pain - I don't know its just all worrying.
    • Posted

The phrase 'Heart attack' is avoided by medical professionals as a rule. It has many meanings to the lay person. What does the phrase mean to you?

Anyway-if your  hubby is relatively well enough and also not in his mid to late 80's-a stent or bypass may help the blood supply to that part of his heart muscle which is now immotile.  

• Posted

Thank you Terence, your knowledge is very helpful. Heart attack to me means a destruction of part of the heart that may not recover ? Hubby only 51, previously fit, muscular, no body fat really, ex heavy smoker, hard physical worker etc, fairly healthy eater. All started with chest pain going into jaw, across back of shoulders and down left arm - this has been going on for months gradually Getting worse, and then refered to hospital - angiogram showed 90% blockage in one artery and two others 50% blocked, so stent fitted in ' worst ' one and that's when his heart stopped, others due to be fixed at end of month, not sure if they will do bypass or more stents they are not clear on this yet - obviously we are worried that this will happen again, hopefully all will be well. Stressful to say the least.
    • Posted

'Destruction of part of the heart' is a good way of putting it. Medically its called a 'Myocardial Infarction' or, an M.I. Its not that technical really-a blockage in an artery carrying blood around the heart blocks with a clot (thrombosis) or just finally shuts down with atheroma (furring). The part of the muscle (myocardium) it supplied-dies (infarction).  Just imagine standing on a hosepipe thats watering the garden. Stand long enough (very long!) and the part that was being watered will perish.

There will be a test after this, take notes haha!

Seriously, your hubby is young at 51, I'm sure they'll do the very best for him, dont worry.

• Posted

Yes - thank you we have every faith in the Doctors , I have to say they have they have been fantastic and very quick in dealing with this in a calm caring way. Cardiologists have been just brilliant and reasurring knowing how frightened we have been, we are very lucky indeed under the circumstances - just not looking forward to the next stage ! If it's more stents hubby would rather be given an anaesthetic but I don't think that happens, I think you can be mildy sedated but not completly under - if it's a bypass he won't know anything until it's all over,  - have you had heart problems yourself may I ask as you are very knowledgeable , or are you a medical person ?
    • Posted

Bit of both Lou. Recovering alcoholic and universtiy drop out.  My daily imbibement of over 20 units of alcohol for 25 years enlarged my heart and gave me AF at 48.

I read Biomedical Science at Portsmouth University, where i learnt most of my stuff. I dropped out-you cant pass when you're a drunk!  I then was a student nurse for 2.5 years, and also worked as an aux nirse for 5 years, so i had a lot of experience from the wards. I dont drink anymore...

• Posted

You and me both Lou. Most of its like double dutch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.