Angina and Depression?

Posted , 2 users are following.

my 94 year old grandfather has had angina since age 55.  His mood is low.  He seems to want to die.  

Do GP's have a duty to assess sufferers for depression?  Is there guidance on this?

The 2 conditions seem to go hand in hand so I am wondering what the duties of medics are in assessing depression.

The poor old gent also has been suffering for many years with bronchitis (probably as a result of pipe smoking).

I am grateful for any info.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

Yes doctors do have a duty of care, even assess  anyone of any age for depression, being such an elderly gentleman I'm not sure what treatment they could recommend as medications (some)  can become dangerous in the elderly. You may need to ask if you can attend your Grandfathers next appointment and seek advice, unless you are already your Grandfathers advocate ? I'm sure there is something that they could do to make things more comfortable for him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.