Angina / CAD

Posted , 2 users are following.

Six weeks ago, my husband had chest pains and was taken to the emergency room. There they did ECGs and blood tests over a period of 18 hours, but nothing abnormal was detected. He was discharged home and told that he would require a heart stress test. My husband has type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. All these conditions are well controlled with medication and he has lost 2 stone and has been told that he is now classed as non diabetic. He exercises regularly, has never smoked but there is a family history of heart disease.

Two weeks ago he went for the stress test, but they did an ecg first and refused to carry out the test as there was a concern about the T waves. Not sure what this could mean.

We saw a cardiologist last week. He said we could go through stress test and echocardiogram but ultimately, he felt it best to go straight through an angiogram, describing it as the gold standard. He said this would be better than a CT angiogram,

It is now 6 weeks since his chest pains and he has had no pains or discomfort since. There has been absolutely no signs of angina on exertion and my husband has been carrying on doing workouts since, with no ill effect,

My question is, would he have experienced heart pain since, if he has Coronary artery disease? Seems strange that he has had no chest pain, no breathlessness whatsoever. Is a lack of symptoms normal in CAD. Just hoping it was a virus or pulled muscle in his chest. Incidentally, he also has asthma, for which he uses a brown/ blue inhaler.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. His angiogram is only 2 weeks off, but it seems like an eternity. Had to cancel our holiday and I'm a teacher, but health comes first.

Many thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did he experience chest pain initially after a workout? 
    • Posted

No chest pain after work out. He had just one episode of severe chest pain.

Since then, had normal angiogram and mri heart scan. All normal.

The consultant thinks he may well have had a cardiac event where a tiny piece breaks away from artery, partially blocking valve.

There was on going concern because he had an abnormal T wave, but now 12 months on his ECG is normal.He has been on daily aspirin, but is now signed off.

• Posted

Oh. I'm also having an abnormal T-Wave.. but the echo test was fine. I often feel dizzy after a fast brisk walk. 

Is your husband completely fine now?

• Posted

He is great now, with no probs. He had an ECG last week and his T waves normal again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.