Angina or not Angina

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there not a definite way to no whether you have Angina or not. I have had a terrible 2017 in pain and after months of been told it was my RA my consultant sent me to see heart man who said it was Angina then nov 17 and using spray under tongue 11months he said I didnt have Angina. Now last week ended up in A+E chest pains now told it is mini heart attack or Angina. Then sent me for camera in stomach today and found nothing.now i have been given Angina spray for under tongue but dont feel to confident anyone knows what is wrong with me ???help

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I have the same question. My husband was told he had angina on Feb 22nd while working in Aruba. Since coming home he has had tests and an angiogram. The angiogram showed no blockages but some calcification (show me someone of 66 without any). He only ever had the one episode of pain and has carried on life as usual. So I keep asking, does he have angina or not? His attack followed a period of very energetic swimming and we both thought he might have strained an intercostal muscle. Nobody seems willing to commit themselves either way! Good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you marie for reply.At least im not only one with this problem. They gave me blood test this time and said it had to be repeated in 3 hrs as it was a bit high it was heart related and it should be under5 mine was 8 so they kept me i overnight.just hope mine dosnt come back. Goodnight mary
    • Posted

Thank you marie for reply.At least im not only one with this problem. They gave me blood test this time and said it had to be repeated in 3 hrs as it was a bit high it was heart related and it should be under5 mine was 8 so they kept me i overnight.just hope mine dosnt come back. Goodnight mary
    • Posted

Sounds like that would be a heart specific blood test called Troponin, if it is raised you may of had some kind of heart event, can you clarify the figures ? here where I am we have the high sensitivity Troponin tests and have a new formula, they use to measure it in decimals but now it's in whole numbers like you have mentioned in your comment. Here where I am 5 is considered "normal" as is 8, I usually sit around those figures even on a good day, between 5-8. those whole numbers I can't remember what they equate to in the old decimal point formula, If my memory serves me correctly anything over the 0.03 troponins is considered abnormal, where as the new high sensitivity test the cut off point is 14, anything above that is considered abnormal and needs investigating.

• Posted

Hi,

?There are tests available for cardiologists to make informed decisions or diagnosis to angina, however, in saying that there a 3-4 different types of angina that is very hard to diagnose. As a general rule of thumb if the spray or little pill under the tongue works for your pain they can say with almost certainty that it's angina, that is if you have been given the all clear, via endoscopy, for any reflux/heartburn issues as esophageal  spasms can occur giving off  angina like pain. If the spray does nothing for your pain it's most likely not angina, but it is always advisable to get it checked out at emergency as you don't have to have angina or even heart disease to be having a heart attack, as the old saying goes, anyone can have a heart attack anytime, even the fit and healthy.

?If the GTN helps use as instructed and I'm sure your doctor or cardiologist has informed you after a certain amount of sprays and the pain hasn't subsided  to call for an ambulance.

• Posted

Thankyou i have just had all clear from endoscopy on mon so just have to go with sprays under tongue as it did work last year.
  • Posted

Hi 1313, 

Have you taken any stress test so far? ECG or Echo? 

Also, is the pain on the left chest only or left, right & center? 

Does the chest pain worsen when you're exercising/running?

• Posted

Hi I have had all tests over last year and on final stress test in nov17 then got no result from heart surgeon till jan 18 .was told i have not got angina. Had no pain since sept 17but when i had gtn spray worked well.Now in1st may terrible pain in middle chest going into both shoulders. Lasted 2pm to 8pm when we called ambulance and they did ecg ect and took me in and gave me new gtn spray and said it was mini heart attack or Angina.they also did camera into stomach which was clear.
  • Posted

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. It's very unfortunate that the doctors misdiagnosed you earlier. I'm also having intermittent pain and trouble sleeping at night.. I've slept for an average of 4 hours last week fearing a heart attack. 

What treatment was done to you now? Anigoplasty? 

• Posted

None ! Just lots of blood tests. Also a phone call from gp wanting to know what happened cause hospital got in touch with him. I ask what difference in mini heart attack and angina was and he said its the same spray under tongue for both so not to worry. I dont think they know what is wrong!!
  • Posted

I don't understand. Generally won't you have to go through angiography and angioplasty to ensure that the blockage/narrowing is gone? Especially after a heart attack. 

So all they gave you is the spray?

• Posted

Hi,

?As a general rule that is the procedure after a heart attack, a visit to the cath lab to find out where there is a blockage if any and then start the appropriate treatment. I have had what's called NSTEMI's, these kind of heart attacks don't show up on ECG'S only in the troponin blood test. NSTEMI = Non ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction, the lesser dangerous of the 2 but can be dangerous . You have a STEMI and NSTEMI. Cardiologists generally wait to arteries are  90 - 95 % blocked before stenting, some cardiologists will stent earlier, around the 80 - 85 %.

• Posted

So what if the block is less than 40%? What is the treatment given? I'm a 24 year old male

• Posted

Hi you should talk to your doctor as you shouldnt have to be worrying about heart issuess at your age. Im 70 female and dont know much about Angina as ive only had these problems 1year.Thanks for answering but you best talk to medical team mary
    • Posted

Usual treatment is anti angina medication, including the spray under the tongue, GTN. depending on cardiologists and type of angina, calcium channel blocker or the other family of similar medication, sorry I've forgotten the name of it, eating healthy and exercise is also part of the treatment.

40% is nothing according to my cardiologist, I have 40-50% stenosis in the LAD

• Posted

opps, hit the wrong key, continuing on, 40-50% stenosis in LAD is of no real concern for my cardiologist at the moment. He also told me they don't make stents that big to open up small blockages such as yours and mine. 

• Posted

So will my block heal on its own using medications and good diet and exercise? I'm only 24.

• Posted

Yes you can get it further reduced as long as you follow cardiologists instructions and you don't have any other heart issues. Good diet and exercise, stop smoking if you are a smoker, reduce alcohol intake if you're  a drinker. Statins are also a good stabiliser, especially if you have high cholesterol and can tolerate the drug.

• Posted

That's good to know. Have you heard any success stories where the block of a person has reduced or has gone completely?

• Posted

Not personally I don't but my doctors know of their patients that has completely reversed small range artery blockages, usually in most people with heart disease with blockages over 60% it can be a bit late to reverse, I'd  imagine not impossible but a bit harder.

?What can happen is where the blockage is, if it's significant, new vessels/blood supply route can grow around the blockage and join back up to main blood supply to the heart, the human body is a remarkable thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.