Angina or something else? Grateful for any advice at all.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi to you all. Just for the record I am 55 years old and have a history of ectopic hearbeats when stressed or tired. Other than that I have enjoyed good health and have always been told that the ectopic beats are nothing to worry about.

So here's my dilemma:

While on holiday in Spain a few months ago during a time of much stress and overindulgence (too much alcohol and not enough sleep), I was rushed into a cardiac ward with a suspected heart problem.  I only popped into the hospital initially at my wife's insistence because I'd been having discomfort in my chest on exertion for the past week. The hospital initially carried out 3 blood tests in a period of 12 hours I think to test for the possibility of a heart attack. They found nothing abnormal. They also had me on a heart monitor all the time and took ecg's every few hours. They then told me that there were some electrical anomalies and sent me to the hospital with a cardiac ward. When the cardiologist saw me he gave me an echo test with a portable device which proved my heart was beating strongly and all seemed well. He also told me that the electrical problems concerning the other doctor at the first hospital looked to be the result of an incorrect connection to the ecg machine.  He then sent me to have a stress test on a treadmill. I lasted 13 minutes before reaching 85% of my max heart rate. He told me that all was well except for the presence of an inverted t-wave which recovered quickly but warranted a CT angiogram to be certain. On my return to the UK I paid to have this done privately. The CT angiogram revealed deposits on 3 blood vessels but no stenosis. The UK doctor said I should take statins for my raised cholesterol and an aspirin daily but otherwise continue a healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise. The only trouble is that I can't get rid of this discomfort in my chest which now happens between 5 to 15 minutes on a treadmill at a quite pedestrian rate - my heartbeat being around 120-130 at the time. Stubborn idiot that I am, today, instead of stopping when the discomfort started, I pushed through it, upping the incline and speed so that I was puffing a lot harder. The sensation didn't get any worse or better and I continued on for another 15 minutes. As soon as I got off the treadmill the discomfort passed and I could probably done the whole thing again after another 10 minutes rest. Other than this weird sensation on exercise, and the anxiety that I might drop dead if I don't take it easy, I feel pretty good. The discomfort is always worse when I eat badly the night before although the sensation is nothing like normal indigestion that I have suffered in the past and it only comes on with exercise. I'm at a loss and it's ruining my life.

Is this perhaps a form of GERD or just plain anxiety? Or something else? I refuse to go back to the doctors as the stress and the cost to see anyone decent is prohibitive. I'd love to hear the forum's  thoughts and wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar? Can't tell you how grateful I will be for any advice given.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Max,

I have been suffering with ectopic beats for the last 18 months. Sometimes I feel a mild bump or skip, sometimes a big kick that shakes me to the core. I also suffer with a pause, or I call it a reset. It's where the heart stops very briefly then fires up again. I'm told this is a natural process and the ectopic are harmless, but living with it is not easy at all.  

I've had every test possible and after paying to see 2 different consultants, I've been waiting for an Ablation. This is a procedure where they will go into the heart through the groin, seek out where the electrical signal is escaping is normal route, and they will kill off a tiny piece of tissue that is receiving the electrical signal. Hopefully then everything will return to normal, and I'll be able to get on with life again. 70-80% chance the procedure will be successful, good odds to me.

I had a heart attack back in 2011 and had been in great shape since, until these ectopic started. 

When I'm tired they are worse, if I have caffeine it's guaranteed to start me off. I avoid caffeine now, decaf only, no Coke or Pepsi either.

At low rev just walking my ectopics start. I get the odd kick in the chest or a can get a sequence of rapid ectopic beats that come and go, very unnerving. If I push on and increase the pace and heart rate, the ectopics do disappear. My consultants say this is a good sign, and I have nothing to fear!

I sympathise with you, they have made my life an absolute misery for 18 months. It's not easy functioning when your chest is barking at you. In the early days I was tied up in Anxiety and it caused me many stressful days and nights. As I have tried to push on a little after understanding more of what is happening, my confidence is slowly returning.

I'm told that lots of people live with ectopic heartbeats without if effecting there life. All I can say to that is good for them and long may that be the case.

For some people beta blockers work, easing or stopping the ectopics. It might be worth talking to your GP or Cardiac Consultant. They didn't work for me but may for you if they feel it might help you.

Ive rambled a little too much, this is still a very sensitive subject for me. On the 13th on Nov I go for my Ablation, touch wood it will work and my heart / chest will relax and return to normal. I long for an ectopic, chest pain, discomfort free day. I'm 52 and a long way to go yet, that's my plan anyway.

Best of British to you.

Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt for sharing. I have had ectopics since I was 16. They have come and gone over the years, sometimes for years at a time. At first they used to scare me but over time I have become used to them, although the big kicks, as you call them, can still take me by surprise. Thankfully they seem to barely bother me if I am being healthy, although alcohol, tiredness, stress and caffeine can bring them on.

Good luck with the Ablation!

My only worry now is that I don't know what is causing my chest discomfort on exercising but hopefully a kind person on this forum will have an idea. Fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.