angioedema

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had this condition for abt 8yrs. I've had all the blood tests and we're still none the wiser. I take Telfast 180g for this, however, it's now coming almost weekly and taking longer to disappear. I have now to get a patch test done which i am informed only does up to type 4. I have been told i have type 1. Does anyone know anything about this horrendous infliction. It always starts during the night, either on my forehead and eyelids or my lips.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i Jamieboy,

I was tod I had this two weeks ago, given blod test for allergies and awating results.

I have never had it before.Mouth and lips were swollen. It has onl,y happened 3 times, not every day. My diet has not changeed been eating the same things for years.

Any ideas what I should do ?

Tony

• Posted

Hi I have been suffering from angioedema for about 12 years, I used to just notice it after alcohol and because it shows up on the whole of my face and not just eyes, lips etc it was hard to diagnose, I thought it was water retention and took water pills for it for years, then It became more frequent coming up after Chinese food, exercise, hot bath, anxiety and stress and I was refered to guys hospital were I was finally diagnosed with angioedema and out on fenofexadine, ranitidine and mulucs tablets, I continued with these for about a year but became depressed, isolated and put in 2 stone, my angioedema came on and off during this time, I read an article about antihistamines and weight gain and other side affects like extreme fatigue, so decided to stop them about 8 week's ago, in the last 2 week's I have been reacting to almost everything I eat except juice, Turkey and sweet potatoes, I don't know if this is result if stopping the antihistamines or my system is just messed up and rejecting everything? I have been told my a nutritionist that I gave Candida overgrowth and may have leaky gut, which would cause more food allergys and other symptoms such as depression, fatigue, one etc, and has recommended I do a clean gut 21 day diet to reset my system, and heal my gut, has anyone experienced anything similar when stopping antihistamines? Or had any relief from gut diet? Am really down and hate leaving the house when my face is swollen which lately constantly! I did a 3 day juice cleans send all signs of it disappeared!
  • Posted

I have been having episodes of angioedema(so they say) for about 8 years. The affected areas are the soles of my feet (not in the arch), the meaty pads of my hands, my face, and my tonsils and uvula, will swell up two times there normal size. They become inflamed, warm and itchy. Sometimes the tonsils get so swollen i have gone to the ER, where they just watch me so i don't choke.  I have had numerous blood tests, allergy tests and no one can solve the riddle.  They just say most likely angio edema.  When i get the first inkling of an episode lately i have quickly taken 4 advil and the anti inflamatory drug has quelled the reaction. This has happened twice in the last week. I am currently waitng for some more blood tests that were taken during an episode to see if the "complements" in my blood are misbehaving. I think these complements are associated with an auto-immune reaction. My allergist asked me to have the blood taken during an episode to check this function. I should hear back this week but i dont hold out much hope for a answer.  

• Posted

Have you been tested for HAE? Hereditary Angio Edema? Punch that into google and read about it, very rare. See if your symptoms match and if so email them and they will tell you what exact blood test to have done and refer you to a doc that is familiar with this disease. I have it, I think, awaiting blood tests to confirm. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.