Angiogram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had complications after/during an Angiogram ( I've heard different stories.

( thanks in advance )

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

ust a quick update on my angiogram as from my discharge summary.

Main Diagnosis: Admission from TBH for rehab following Right MCA infract and right TACS during diagnostic angiogram. Thrombolyed successfully.

in plain English: a Stroke caused by the angiogram

I was lucky to have been in the hospital so taken straight to MRI scan then to be Thrombolysed

after 3 days at the acute stroke ward I was sent to another stroke rehab. Hospital (  total hospitalisation 8 days, discharged to day , 45%

paralisis in left leg and  35% left arm.

I was told the odds of a stroke from angiogram 0.05 %.

with having being part of that persentage, should I do the lottery LOL )

A big thank's to all the stroke team for the fact that I can write this

• Posted

3 weeks and one day post discharge I'm now mobil thanks to Physio ( 3 times aweek, can walk with a stick but still no feeling down my left side.)

wishing you all the best

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 47 year old with chest pain, can barely walk 200 yards without chest pain. This all suddenly came on about 5 weeks ago, haven't been able to go to work in that time. My dad and grandmother both had angina. I attended casualty five weeks ago with severe chest pain and my ecg and treadmill test came back clear so am booked in for angiogram this Friday and I'm terrified. Someone here mentioned they enter via your wrist but my hospital paperwork advises me to shave right side of groin? My gp suggested this could all be gastric and not heart related, angiogram will give more answers. I cannot lay flat due to burning pains across chest , radiating into upper part of my arms and shoulders, so how can they carry out angiogram as I've read I need to be lying flat. Sleeping is a nightmare, I'm sat upright to sleep. I'm thinking of buying zantac and gaviscon hoping that will allow me to lay flat fir Friday's procedure.
    • Posted

Hi,

​Yes going through the wrist is the newest way to go, however, it's entirely up to the cardiologist,the older cardiologists still prefer to go via the groin,which ever way they go you have to lay flat on your back.

• Posted

I have been told I will be having mine through my groin as there is known "furring " in the wrist (discovered when I had a renal procedure)  I have been told that I will need to lay flat so kmg68 may have a problem best to check with the proffesionals
    • Posted

I have similar symptoms to you and have a serious gaviscon habbit! I put my chest pain down to gastric problems too , but when I did eventually have an ecg (the delay was tottally my own fault) it  came back as "abnormal" and I now need an angiogram, what I am trying to say is , youcan have gastric symptoms AND cardio symptoms please dont disregard it, best wishes
    • Posted

Yes it's all up to the Cardiologist in his entry point, personally I prefer the wrist as I didn't spring a leak there because of the pressure band applied immedietly after catheter is removed, I have had 2 squirtes from the groin , wrist no problems, so from a patients perspective I prefer the wrist as you don't have to lay on your back for 5 hrs, at least you can get up and go to the toilet etc etc with the pressurised wrist band, whilst with the groin entry you have to lay on your back for 5-8 hours and try not to move.

​Cardiologists like everyone have their preferred methods, my original cardiologists prefers groin entry where as my regular cardiologist prefers wrist entry, mind you, I don't think my older cardiologist has even entered via the wrist as he's a bit long in the tooth and what;'s the saying...you can't teach an old dog new tricks...lol...

• Posted

Is there a difference between angioplasty [procedure ] and angiogram test.? I was revived from death with an angioplasty  on MI .Had been going to GP s weekly over 4 yrs with classic symptons recorded ,found out later,  as mental to cover up because Surgeries had been directed  not to refer  those of certain age.

But with angiogram ,I have these regularly the first was a problem because suspect  was not told to stop the beta blockers before .As soon as I stopped fine. If you have a dosset box this can be a problem ie: medication regularly adapted .It is hard to identify or observe interactions & side effects in first place without the packaging .

Angina I think can relates to the thoracic [ lung function] like apnea  Because of Low Priority Policy suspect the microvascular not investigated even if you have hads an angioplasty in first pace and you are borderline.The fact anaethetists regard us as risks excluding treatment  NHS & private  says it all.Having to go abroad for treatment - started with the dental  is really out of order and surely not ethical  .

• Posted

I had a major complication, the back of the vein was cut, and not noticed 

No blood flow down my leg  back into theatre for a surgical team to 

2hunt the clot " I was told that if they didn;t find it ,I might lose my leg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.