Angiogram through the groin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having a angiogram tomorrow going up through my groin to see if they can find out where the constant bleeding is coming from. Just wondering if anyone else has had one just want to know how long it took, pain etc after 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Had one done a couple of years ago for my heart.  they went up through the groin.  I can ensure you it is really nothing terrible.  The procedure itself took between 45 minutes to an hour, start to finish.  You are only mildly sedated and awake during the entire thing.  It is painless.  You get the sensation of course that something is going on, but no pain.  The groin area was bruised and a little sore for a day or two.  I found for the first 2 or 3 days that going up and down stairs was NOT my favorite thing.  But definitely NOT a terrible experience at all and I am a totally wimp.  Don't worry.  This time tomorrow you will be wondering what you were even worrying about.

• Posted

Thank you !! Shouldn’t take long at all then. How long did you have to wait before you could come out it’s only the day but didn’t know how long you had to wait before your aloud home? 
    • Posted

Josh- My experience when undergoing an angiogram was for a tube going through the groin and up into the heart.  No pain during surgery at all, just a slight pushing sensation on occasion.  Finger pressure was applied to the wound for 10 to 20 mins afterwards.  I had to remain still for two hours afterwards before being moved back from one hospital to another, with blood pressure being monitored every 20 mins.  This ma not apply to your procedure.  I did have discomfort in that area for a couple of weeks when walking but I bruise easily and the cardiologist therefore felt that I was experiencing internal bruising.  But absolutely nothing for you to be concerned about - I was scared stiff going into it but it was unnecessary.  
  • Posted

I've had several done and like everyone says, no pain, no big deal. The worst part for me is the"laying still" for a couple hours. In and out of the hospital in the same day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.