Angry Argumentative and Violent when drinking

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been drinking for many years and have been told I am an alcoholic.  I was told that after a period of time of drinking it can have a signicant affect on the way you are - I used to be happy when drinking and then it has gradually turned to the above - just wondered if anybody else has suffered with this.  I have tried to give up alcohol, cut down - everything in moderation etc., however it didnt work - I am now on Campral tablets and I am not sure whether this is the right medication as I have been abstient for 43 days until Sunday and it was like a binge drink  and the feeling of being deprived - albeit it is my choice to give up - Any advice would be welcome. 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Radley13. I have just joined the forum and am worried that I need half bottle of vodka every night to relax and sleep during the night,I can't offer you any advice,but you can help me please.Did you get advice from the doctor for the Campral tablets? I live on my own,and my problem is needing more and more vodka to relax,as my body gets used to it.
    • Posted

Hi Angela  - Yes, I got them from the doctor - Campral is for when you are abstinent and it is Selincro to cut down the amount you drink - I am sure Paul will log on to this forum and will be able to give you some sound advise as he works in this capacity. R
  • Posted

Thank you for your advice,I hope you get the advice you need as it's clearly distressing for you if you are making your family unhappy,I hope they are understanding.My dad was an alcoholic and he was weak,he just left us to do his own thing and I didn't even hear about his funeral until months later,so sad.I wonder if I will find the strength to beat this,as I don't feel I have any willpower.you clearly are trying and you will beat this won't you.x
    • Posted

Hi Angela

Indeed  -  You will find the strength you dont want to end up being like your father  and so sad that you didnt hear about his funeral until months after - It is good that you are on this forum other people come into this Angela dont feel that your on your own I only joined a day ago and feeling it is better out than bottling up inside x

• Posted

Yes it's good to talk,and you and me and others joining are all wanting to get better,for ourselves and our family.If we didn't care,we would not seek out a forum like this.Hope we keep in touch,I am 58 what age are you,and is your name Radley,it's quite unusual,but nice.
    • Posted

Hi Angela I am 54 - yes just dont want any addiction to alcohol or smokes just wish I could could resolve it all -
  • Posted

Well I don't smoke never have,but then make up for it in alcohol,I started drinking to help me sleep,what about you ? I am worse now as moved house,not got a job,and feel lonely,can't believe that I got my dream of being beside the sea never realising I opened a can of worms to problems I can't resolve.I am going back to watching TV now but hope to talk to you tomorrow.Take care.x
    • Posted

I started drinking at home when I got divorced and had my son and couldnt get out it was a habit . We have also got our dream home I didnt work for 3 years my partner away on business a lot my son at University and I was lonley too - I managed to get a job in the last year for 6 months ago to occupy my mind sadly made redundant feel like I am going backwards again.  Hope you sleep well - speak to you tomorrow Angela x
  • Posted

Hi Radley I drank less last night so had a restless night,but at least I can lie in to try catch up,I usually have lots strange dreams in a light sleep but end up having insecure depressing dream,so get up reluctantly.My ex husband drank with me every night,but when he left me for another woman I drank more.I left the area to avoid seeing him with her,and ran into problems with jobs ect over the years.I didn't have a mortgage,but took one on while I was out a job.I put my name down for a council house to get back to Argyll but after 8 years I got offered a remote village on an island,it's beautiful but no job,and very lonely,I just want to day to end so I can drink myself to sleep.I phoned surgery twice this morning,but just kept ringing.Hope you had better night.
    • Posted

Hi Angela sorry to hear you had a bad night - you do need to see your GP - I dont think Campral maybe is the right drug to take I dont think it is for me either as I have replapsed - I am going this week to get a prescription for Nalmefene it has a 78% success rate whereas Campral has 21%.  It does sound that you need to move so you are with people - I live out in the sticks but if I get in the truck I am in the little town that I know people but if I dont go out I dont see anybody for days on end I do empathise with you.  Especially will having no job either - catch 22.  Let me know you are okay x
  • Posted

Yes I,m fine thanks,you,re very thoughtful for asking.Good luck with the nalmafene I may have spelt that wrong but really hope it works for you.Let me know,I didn't manage to make an appointment with DR and it's closed tomorrow but I,ll get there.Thanks for telling me about the medication so I can mention it to the DR.
    • Posted

Your welcome Angela we are all in the same boat - what life has thrown at us - our upbringing - a multitude of things that can trigger alcoholism - it's not an easy road for any of us in this boat, we all need to sail it and get some kind of normality into our lives to over come the demon that is currently ruling us.  I'm not here to judge and I hope nobody judges me either - keep in touch
  • Posted

Hi Radley hope you are back on track again,you have been such a help to me and I realised I should have given you lots of praise for what you have achieved in not drinking for so long.You,the person I,ve spoken to for 2 days,on line,seems kind and considerate,and I wonder at your angry at yourself message came from the medication on top of you drinking again.I haven't been to doctor yet but know that's the way to go,and I,ll have some knowledge now to medication I can take to help me wean of vodka.You also seem intelligent,and I appreciate talking about our past helped us both understand why we started drinking in the first place.Take care,x
  • Posted

Hi Radley I feel no one can help me with my drink problem,I want to admit my worst memory my dad was in the Navy and got the chance to take his family to Hong Kong we were there 18 months and yes wow weather great and really,us whites were treated like Royalty I was 14 and had puberty weight problem though realististly being 5ft 2 ins and 9st was NOT bad attall-apparently my dad chief of the boat CPO called me,his daughter that fat thing, I found that out when one of his colleagues said to me no wonder he calls you that fat thing --you ordering chips for lunch,how does one get their head round that and then feel confident,my own daughter feels like a princess as her dad loves her so much I am so glad but jealous to,as I am that fat thing and mum never good enough wow feel drained now xx
    • Posted

Hi Angela

When I have had a drink - I am talking 1 - 2 bottles of wine I get annoyed angry and nobody can do anything right.  I have been a two headed monster and admit it.  I have reflected back on how I have been how my mood and whole persona changes and I am not going back there - I have fallen out with so many people through drink - No looking back I just want to go forward - I am not quite back on track I have been drinking and last eve I bought a bottle of wine and only had two glasses (half bottle) normally I would have finished the whole bottle off and possibly started on another.  I think going into abstience so quickly was wrong for me and therefore I am going to see the doctor today and sort some Nalmefene which is the drug used to reduce the amount you drink. 

Oh Angela, I dont think your father would have said that in a vindictive or spiteful way - sometimes people just dont think and your father probably didnt think anything of it, I dont think they did years ago and you are like me very sensitive and take things very personally and to heart and then it plays on your mind and you feel sad.  As for the chap that said what he said - almost like a wind up - Let it go Angela - you should never be jealous of anybody - jealousy eats away at you.  You should be happy that your daughter is treated nicely and you are good enough.  Today is a new day yesterday was history and so was your fathers comment so onwards and upwards and let us both be positive and have a good day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.