Anhedonia

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is commonly discussed in depression and mental illness forums etc, but although it affects substance abuse withdrawals, it hardly gets a mention.

Anybody who has ever given up alcohol and then found that they have no enthusiasm for life or any activies that they previously enjoyed, hold no interest anymore. In fact, lacking in enthusiasm for just about anything, will know this feeling, this is anhedonia.

I'll try to keep the copied items short, obviously I can't provide links, but I'm sure we all know how to use Google.

Much of the battle of recovery is a hidden, quiet affair.  After the shakes subside and a person is considered stable enough to have survived acute withdrawal symptoms, the recovering addict has a hard slog ahead.PAWS affects people recovering from different substance addictions.  Symptoms of PAWS can include depression, anhedonia, loss of concentration, craving, sleep disturbances, stress sensitivity, anxiety, and guilt.

Anhedonia refers to a physical loss of one’s ability to experience pleasure.  Though drug cues continue to elicit craving and the promise of that elusive pleasure, natural sources of pleasure will feel as if they’ve utterly lost their charms. We know that anhedonia occurs upon abstinence from the addictive substance.

Anhedonia is the result of changes in the dopaminergic mesolimbic and mesocortical reward circuit, involving the ventral tegmental area, the ventral striatum, and part of the prefrontal cortex. The inactivation of dopamine in these areas is proposed to lead to anhedonia, though more research is needed to be certain

The evidence of anhedonia’s link to addiction is well documented.  One study (2009) presented pleasant pictures to a control group and to a group of heroin addicts and found that heroin users had reduced responsiveness to these natural reinforcers, “across a range of psychophysiological measures.”  They found that, furthermore, their subjective ratings of the pleasant pictures predicted future heroin use.

Other studies have also documented that anhedonia occurs and persists in recovering addicts, and several of them emphasize that anhedonia is a significant indicator of relapse.

I'm always a great believer in understanding why you have these symptoms and it is always easier to deal with them if you know what and why, rather than just feeling out of sorts, with no guide to dealing with it.

I didn't want to put any more in one post, if the thread develops then perhaps look at ways of dealing with it, but it is still not understood 100%. Anyone going to an ARC and has a sense of humour (not me, I don't do things like this), ask your counsellor about it and enjoy the blank stare.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The cut and paste content is interesting.
    • Posted

Hi Tess, RHGB and the gang! I have learnt a lot from this forum. Before I came on this site I thought I was just a hopeless alcoholic with depression, as that is how the "normals" and GPs see us. Since then I have learnt I have chronic fatigue syndrome, personality disorder, AUD, AWS, PAWs, HSP, addiction, insomnia, anhedonia, well could continue but you may all fall asleep !!!

Im not sure if this info helps or not. Well it's not really helping me at all.

My dad, retired dr, says my grandma suffered with depression( not alcohol as

• Posted

Cont. but her GP didn't tell her. Her GP was God as far as she was concerned. She took Prozac and was happier( no internet in those days, lol) but she was a lovely lady until she died at 83. 

Not sure where I'm going with this but some of you will hopefully understand what I'm trying to say..

God bless all of us on here and I hope we all continue to help each other, support each othe and live the life we all deserve xx

• Posted

I liked when threads went off topicsmile

But I spose this is an open forum and not just a family as we like to think

Anyway,I defo have the afore mentioned,nothing is pleasurable without winesad

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I do not wish to take this thread off topic... but... I don't find anything pleasurable with wine, now, because of the Selincro/Nalmefene.

Misery Guts R Us !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Nicole but small posts as they disappear for some reason..I love alcohol too. As a teenager lager, then red wine( hate them both now) now white wine( cold). When I go on a binge I hate all alcohol. This lasts for a week or two, but the white wine cravings always win. X
    • Posted

You'll get there, Nicole. Two months in is early days yet. 
    • Posted

I drank vodka and lemonade as a teenager,then cheap wine,then red wine,now I prefer white wine and proseco
    • Posted

I hope so ADE

I'm not giving up and following the 2 hour rule

• Posted

I'm a white wine and ice tippler when I get going - which thank goodness is much less often now.  I hate the stuff when sober, and if I drink at all usually start with beer, but at some point I just stand at the bar and the next minute I've got a white wine sitting in front of me, and then another, and another, etc...
    • Posted

Again I've tried to reply to messages but they disappear. I am so grateful to so many lovely souls that gave me love and hope. 🙏❤️❤️. I'm not a horrible person and help  people any way I can. I have a disease and i hate it. 

I was a little/ well very drunk yesterday. Thankfully 2 people called me from this site and probably saved my life x

• Posted

Glad that you're still with us, Paper! Hang in there, it will get better. 

• Posted

BTW, Paper, if you take too long to compose a reply, the iPad may have to reload the page you're on and that could well wipe out your post. DId you see my suggestion on using cut and paste on the iPad? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.