Anixety attack for over a week, Hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I am 28 years old, always been an anxious person but managed well with yoga and meditation.

Last summer I had terrible insomnia which led to a depressive episode and constant heart palpitations/bounding pulse. I went on antidepressants (which didnt do too much except help me sleep) and saw a therapist, learned a lot about anxiety and made some changes in my life.

April of this year I saw a functional medicine doctor (similar to a naturopath) for my IBS who through testing found I had a parasite, liver clogging and bacteria overgrowth. I stopped the antidepressants and started treating these items naturally through supplements and diet. Since then, I have felt like a whole new person, still an anxious person but overall feeling great.

A week ago a depressive / anxious wave hit me out of nowhere and I haven't been able to shake it. My heart rate is anywhere from 100-130, so nervous about everything I can barely drag myself out of bed and when I eat it goes right through me - diarrhea. I've tried every "relaxing" trick in the book and I get waves of calm but they are very brief moments of relief.

I had my Thyroid tested 1.5 years ago and was told it was "normal", is it possible that things could change or the results weren't accurate?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It very well could be an overactive thyroid. I would definitely get the blood test to check your TSH and your FT4 (free T4) and FT3 (free T3) levels. The symptoms you describe are certainly in keeping with the signs of the onset of hyperthyroidism.
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't see this reply, it went into my email spam folder. I did go and ask for a full thyroid panel, of course she only tested TSH, it was in the normal range (0.88) but lower than before  (1.2)... not sure where to go now, I'm experiencing full blown depression symptoms now, which is something I have never experienced and I am very upset over it. Thank you for responding!!

• Posted

I believe it is possible things could change.  The results could have been accurate at that time but now you need to be tested again.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding!! See above comment to Dan.. I was in the "normal" range again but symptoms are getting worse sad

• Posted

I agree with Dan and Linda. It sounds exactly like my symptoms before I started treatment for a hyper thyroid.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding!! See above comment to Dan.. I was in the "normal" range again but symptoms are getting worse sad hair seems to be falling out as well which i read is another symptom, but could also just be the stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.