Ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just got the ok to be full weight baring on my ankle after braking it. I can put most of my weight but it hurts to put full weight on it. Should I work with what I'm comfortable with amd go.from there? Any suggestions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Anklebroken12,

Absolutely, don't push it right away.  Your ankle isn't used to having any pressure on it, so it needs to gently be reminded that that is it's job so to speak.

I have been weight bearing for many weeks now and am still working at putting full weight on my ankle after being given the go ahead.

Slow and steady pressure will get you back on your feet.

Best of luck in your recovery!

Deb

• Posted

Yes, my suggestion would be to have physical therapy help so you won’t over do it, it take time and patience after surgery and not being able to use the ankle since your injury. I broke my ankle in 3 places and had orif surgery 2 plates and 7 screws. I been walking full weight bearing with any pain at all . My therapist says that when I walk they can’t tell the difference between which ankle that have been broken...physical therapy has been my greatest achievement 
    • Posted

They aren't doing physical therapy he just told me I can full weight bear and in two weeks I am able to walk with no boot and no assistance I dont see it possible

• Posted

I got the ok to fully weight bear 2 weeks aho after 13 weeks post orif for trimalleolar break, 1 plate and 11 screws. I am finding it exhausting and frustrating as the pain is not improving, and I feel I am nowhere near actually putting full weight on that foot. I believe it will take a while to build up the foot and ankle muscles that support you to put weight on it. I am relying on my physiotherapist to tell me how i am progressing, and she says its doing ok.

• Posted

My doctor is saying I need to be able to walk in two weeks and I only been eeight bearing for 2. I dont see it possible!!!
    • Posted

I only been weight bearing for 2 days
  • Posted

The physical therapy is to help with strengthening exercises for the ankle and also strengthening for your mental capacity...if you can afford it or have insurance I would strongly recommend therapy bro trust me ...I’m growing leaps and bounds with any problems at all . Prayer was my foundation and therapy was my structure to help with my ankle 
  • Posted

Yes, just use a 4 wheeled (rollator) walker with a seat and hand brakes so that you put weight on your arms as you go through the step with your affected leg.  When you are walking, just go to the point of pain.  Soak your foot and ankle in warm water daily, then pump and circular range of motion. My toes were the last to return to normal, so the toe off portion of my step is the last to return (when your affected foot is in the back getting ready for the next step).  I am just 2 weeks into weightbearing, was 6 weeks NWB.  Wear a cushioned sole shoe such as Sketcher's Go Walk at all times as the ground or wood floors feel brutally hard under your foot.  I don't have to use the walker anymore, just occasionally in the first week of weightbearing.  Each time you wake up your foot will be the stiffest.  Just standand feel the stretch before startingto walk.  Good luck with your healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.