ankle and wrist injury

Posted , 3 users are following.

i fractured my  ankle and wrist 5 months ago( the wrist 2 weeks after my ankle, whilst practising on crutches)..anyway, still in pain and still not walking properly,uneven ground is a no go area, i do all the exercises and more that im told to but it just does not seem to be getting any better, i was hoping to be back at work by now,and am now worrying if ill be ok for january.I work as a digger driver so an really worried about going back on site. i never ever thought such common injuries would cause so much stress, physically , mentaly and financially, so my heart goes out to anyone in this situation.  on the plus side , i have never read so much and watched so many documentaries in my life, so thinking of going on mastermind soon........lol.....sorry to rant, but was just wondering if anyone else has taken this long to heal.   ps  im 56  so i guess that dos,nt help.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a trimal fracture (all 3 bones) with ORIF surgery on 8/25/16. I have only been walking for about 6 weeks and do Range if Motion exercises 3 times a day. Going to PT weekly and gym every other day for last six weeks. My injury is supposed to take 1 year for full recovery. Have they checked for soft tissue damage?
    • Posted

got an appointment on jan 3,,,,going to ask them to chk everything,   its just not healing,.....without painkillers i would be in big trouble
  • Posted

Hi Mastermind Mike

A skinny little ankle lugs around a lot of weight... it will take 12-15 months for it to completely heal. If you ever have a next time, I suggest a knee scooter or an iwalk2.. save the wrist, ouch!

In the mean time, elevation at about the shoulders and ice are your best friends. And rest, rest is what allows our body to recharge.

Consider supportative higb top boots.

And consider support, compression stocking to the knee. Put it on before you put your legs over the side of the bed in the morning. Extend yoyr leg fully up in the air for 30 seconds to allow the fluids to return to the heart, then put the stocking on The compression will help controlthe swelling,, swelling reduction reduces pain, and you will give the ankle additional support.

I hope you make it back to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.