Ankle arthritis and ligamentoplasty

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

First I apologize for my broken English, it's not my native language. I would to ask for some feedback from anyone who had gone through similar experience.

I'm 25 years old W, I sprained my left ankle multiple times the past 7 years. As a result, I have completely torn the Anterior talofibular ligament and partially torn the Calcaneofibular ligament. I visited a surgeon and some doctors in 2016, who advised me to only do physiotherapy and no invasive surgery at the time, even though the CT arthrography showed a chondropathy stage II-III in the anterior rim of the tibial pestle.

I developed chronic instability over the years - I feel that I have 0 balance if I lean on the left side of my body, and the chronic pain I started to feel (due to arthritis) every time after just a few hours of walking is unbearable.

I recently saw a surgeon who would like to perform a ligamentoplasty (basically repairing the 2 ligaments) for ankle stability and do PRP injections to increase the range of motion of the ankle. He said that with these 2 procedures, I should gain full stability, increased range of motions and shouldn't feel any more pain or at least a reduced pain in the joint.

I have read multiple types of research online linking positively the ligamentoplasty as a treatment of ankle instability, but couldn't find any linking ligamentoplasty with reduced pain caused by arthritis - my understanding so far, there is no treatment to remove arthritis completely, only pain management treatments or treatment to slow the development of it.

I will definitely go for a second medical opinion, but I feel very anxious at the thought of the surgery and the possible outcome of it, if it will minimize my pain or not, I have asked the surgeon these questions, but I didn't feel reassured enough... That's why I want to ask here if anyone had a similar experience? Did you do ligament repair surgery after having an early stage arthritis? Was your ankle painful, stiff? Do you still feel pain due to arthritis after long time of walking?

I would appreciate any feedback! I feel restricted by this pain I get and sometimes depressed since I'm only 25 yo and can't be as active as I used to be anymore. 😦

Thanks a lot!

Oumi

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice. The thing about surgeons is they are trained to do just what your surgeon is suggesting - operate on a patient. Is there any other option for you, as apparently physiotherapy was not enough? Do you currently wear any sort of supporting brace which enables you to get some exercise? He did give you information about the improvements you should expect. I think you want to know if there are any potential downsides. Sometimes surgery is the best option. It's not like he wants to replace the joint or anything drastic like that - they wouldn't at your age anyway - but he does feel the procedure will give you back much better use of the ankle. I don't know what PRP injections are. Provided those do not have an adverse effect on the joint (like cortisone injection is bad for the cartilage) then they sound like a good addition to the surgery. Do let us know what you find out as you speak with other health professionals.

This forum has, unfortunately, become very quiet lately. I hope you do get some useful responses.

• Posted

I've just looked up PRP injections. This is an experimental treatment and you would indeed be wise to be cautious with them. if you want to consider them find out if your surgeon has had a lot of experience with them already. The surgery, although I personally know nothing about it, is probably a well known procedure with good outcomes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.