Ankle boot

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can you drive with a boot for an ankle problem?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In my state, Tennessee, it is illegal. I did it anyway. Although, the boot was on my left foot and I was driving an automatic vehicle so it really didn’t interfere with driving. 
  • Posted

I did, my left ankle is in the boot. Driving was fine, pain was high. I try to avoid it! I do not know the law in my state, I just did.
  • Posted

If it is your left leg and an automatic then possibly. Check with insurers. I have right leg in boot so NO. Check laws in your country and state. Also could you do emergency stop or take avoiding manouvres. Woukd you risk impact and ankle damage just to drive?
  • Posted

Nancy,

Your question about driving with an ankle injury in a walking boot (CAM boot, air cast, etc.) pops up on this forum occasionally.

The short answer is no, it should not be attempted if boot is on driving (right foot). It is too risky for a number of reasons: it is illegal in a lot of places (for good reason), it places you and others in potential danger because a boot is unwieldy and you may not have complete control of car in an emergency, and if you really had to stomp on brakes in a sudden situation you could possibly re-injure ankle, even in boot.

I know the loss of freedom in not being able to drive is frustrating-- but remember it is only a temporary inconvenience.

• Posted

I do with a left ankle boot. It would be harder on the right foot.
  • Posted

It is not safe or legal with either foot in a manual or right foot in automatic. Even left foot in automatic may not be covered by insurance or legal in your state. As said it is temporary and it means others wont be harmed by your reduced ability to make emergency manouvres, take evasive actions or drive properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.