Ankle broken in 3 places

Posted , 10 users are following.

I broke my ankle 2 months ago, had surgery and a plate put in. I have been full weight-bearing for a week and am wearing a boot. Doctor says i can graduate to walking without a walker as soon as I feel comfortable. But I am still in pain when walking and the ankle swells up on a daily basis. Even the opposite ankle swells up.  Is it normal to still be in pain after 8 weeks. I would think I would be able to walk pain-free by now, but maybe I am being overly optimistic.  I start therapy in another week, but am doing some exercises on my own. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I 'm afraid I can"t offer anything very illuminating regarding your current pain except to empathize.

I'm just starting out on the journey the majority of people here on the forum are traveling on. I am going to the er tonight- hoping for fewer people there and shorter wait. I'm post injury 15 untreated days. Untreated because I couldn't tolerate having my left foot down for any time at all until now. It is still very touchy, but I have to get the news.

I have responded here because I 'm intrigued by your '2 dogs and jogs'.

What size are they? I have a yellow lab now 1.5 yrs.Had her for 6 months. She's being trained as my service dog as I have low vision which gives me some mobility problems, especially outdoors.

She has ENORMOUS exercise needs which I'm unable to satisfy now the way I once did. She runs at break neck speed up and down a slope wbich connects us to the beach level. I shoot a tennis ball up the hill with a large wrist rocket (slingshot) produced for that purpose and she retrieves it and brings it back down ti me

• Posted

I just realized I didn't answer your post!  Sorry---

I have 2 dogs, a 60 lb staffordshire and a 50 lb chesapeake retriever mix. I am now at the point (4 months since the surgery) where I can walk them both separately. They are both seniors so don't need to run, but my son runs them sometimes. That's a good idea about the slingshot though.  My ankle is still sore from time to time and I still have swelling. Yesterday I walked about 3 miles which was a little too much as I'm sure today. I took the walker because I had to cross 2  busy streets and was afraid of falling. I thought I would be able to jog holding on to the walker, but the foot is still too weak. Sure takes a long time for ankles to heal. I have broken a hip, two arms and a wrist , but this injury is taking much longer.  How are YOU doing?

• Posted

I 'm afraid I can"t offer anything very illuminating regarding your current pain except to empathize.

I'm just starting out on the journey the majority of people here on the forum are traveling on. I am going to the er tonight- hoping for fewer people there late at night and a shorter wait. I'm post injury 15 untreated days. Untreated because I couldn't tolerate having my left foot down for any time at all until now. It is still very touchy, but I have to get the news.

I have responded here because I 'm intrigued by your '2 dogs and jogs'.

What size are they? I have a yellow lab now 1.5 yrs.Had her for 6 months. She's being trained as my service dog as I have low vision which gives me some mobility problems, especially outdoors.

She has ENORMOUS exercise needs which I'm not able to satisfy now the way I was doing before the injury. She runs at break neck speed up and down a long slope which connects us to the beach level. I shoot a tennis ball up the hill with a large wrist rocket (slingshot) produced for that purpose and she retrieves it and brings it back down to me. After about 20, 30 times she's still not tired, but I am! Hope to get back to that activity soon. Wouldn't think of 'jogging' with her on my best day. This way she gets strenuous exercise, and I don't.

If you have big dogs who retrieve and you're finding their exercise challenging right now, a tennis-lobbing sling shot is the way to go.

Hope our pain diminishes in the near future, because, I for one am already sick and tired of it and the immobility it produces.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.