Ankle cheilectomy Recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi

i had an ankle cheilectomy op 5 weeks ago and it is still very swollen and painful

i tried to wear. Normal shoe at the weekend but I couldn't get it near my foot so still wear the boot from the hospital

is this normal for the procedure? 

I am am also really struggling to walk without the crutches

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've not had the same op as you, but 5 weeks is a very short time to be getting over any op on your ankle or foot, so I expect any swelling to be normal. I'm into week 16 after breaking my ankle and 5th metatarsal (the latter having a screw), my leg and foot still swell up when I'm upright, and it's still painful.

Are you having physio or been given exercises to do? My physiotherapist says most of my pain now is from the tendons and ligaments having shortened from not being used. You have to gradually exercise, stretch and rotate you foot etc. if you've not been given any look online for exercises for recovering from a broken ankle (my physio says she'd tell you to do the same ones as me) little and often, start with the stretches and rotations then add in the weight bearing ones as you can tolerate them.

Oh crutches, I'm still having to use both, trying to walk without or only one makes me walk incorrectly so I've been told to use both and gradually put more weight onto my bad foot.

Hope this is of use and that you heal soon.

• Posted

Thanks. I am seeing my consultant tomorrow for a follow up.

i haven't been given any exercises yet but I expect I'll be sent to physio

i am not able to walk at all without my crutches and large boot from the hospital

i hope you get well soon too and thanks for your reply

• Posted

I still use the boot for when I'm outside. I found when I first tried the stretches etc. it was best in a nice warm bath, just getting the movement back is hard work.

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Thanks. After seeing my consultant he feels the arthritis is getting worse so has said I may deteriorate in 5 years

i am being referred to a pain clinic but do not know what to expect from that. Has anyone been to a pain clinic?

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I just had the same procedure done on my ankle a few weeks ago.

My surgeon told me that my cartilidge was nearly worn out and that I"d likely have major arthritis problems within a few years, maybe as little as 1 year.

I wonder how your recovery went after your latest post and how your ankle is doing now. It's been over a year. Do you have any wisdo you can share with me? How are you doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.