Ankle Exercises

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, 

I few questions about my ankle rehab exercises. A few of you have some good advice.

As you know or may not know I'm 7 weeks out of my surgery tomorrow.  I'm doing my rehab at home because sadly my PT place stopped taking my insurance. So , This is what I'm doing: 

Up and down flex with the band  10 to 12 times  2 x's a day

Also with the band I'm doing side stretches 

I got up to mid ABC's with out dying of pain! ha.. that is not easy! 

And I'm constantly moving the ankle as I sit and elevate. 

Questions... how long before any of you got in a shoe? 7 weeks out and still nothing can get on my foot with brace or with out.

I swell horribly and I know this is normal but when and if did your swelling calm down enough to get in a shoe?

Thanks!

Rose

Happy New Year... may 2018 be happy and healthy for all of us! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What type of ankle injury did you have ? I had a orif ankle injury, breaking 3 bones . It took me about 9-10 weeks before I could put a shoe on .. 
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth

I fell and damaged a ligament and a tendon/ reconstruction and clean up of the ankle. 

​Wow! 9 to 10 weeks! That is a long time. I guess I had a bigger hope. 

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello, I had orif on my right ankle ( fracture of the fibula). Currently 5 weeks post op. Im wearing my daily shoes 5 days ago. It was hard to wear on the first day of trying but eventually, my foot settled and got used to the shoe
  • Posted

Hello Rose, it was right about 8 weeks where my swelling died down enough to where I could probably put a shoe on. I just didn't, due to an infected surgical site. But 8 weeks and I'm still on crutches, myself, but the swelling did die down literally overnight with an antibiotic switch. 

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Good to hear from you again.

It seems some patients like you have real issues with edema. I suspect the original ankle injury trauma, plus additional trauma from surgery cause persistent swelling as an inflammatory response, and the body just won't shut it down.

Your exercises will help circulate blood and lymph that is pooling down there. Regular ankle movements all day long, especially the foot/calf pumps will help out immensely. Whenever you sit for a spell try to remember to do the alternating 'gas pedal' pumps with both feet.

Also, applying alternating hot and cold comfort packs to the ankle can also stimulate healing in tissues and help circulate stagnant fluids out of there.  Use comfort packs that can be heated in a microwave and chilled in freezer. They are reusable. Always lay a cloth on skin first before applying hot/cold packs.

Check your diet to make sure you are eliminating inflammatory-prone foods like sugar, highly processed carb foods, gluten, etc. You might be able to add back some of these inflammation-exciting foods after you recover (but I wouldn't recommend it).

There are supplements on market that studies have shown do reduce inflammation without drug side effects. Also, systemic enzymes can help break down inflamed areas.

If swelling still persists, you might look into buying orthopedic shoes that can accommodate lots of swelling (and use velcro closures, for example). Yes, the goal is eventually to get you back into sleek fashion footwear that are mothballed in the closet in now, or whatever appeals to your fancy.

• Posted

Thank You all for your inputs.  Doing the exercises and the gas foot pedal pumps consistently , but waking up to a lot more swelling than I think I should have at this point. Going to keep it up though.... I have a mission to get shoes on and to get driving! LOL  

KP.... yes, I had a ton of swelling after the injury that was never dealt with .. doing all I can! Thanks again. smile 

I'll keep you all posted! 

Rose

• Posted

Eat fruits and veggies ... and keep at it — u will be able to get into a shoe in time 
  • Posted

Rose,

That's the spirit. Be an ankle warrior and get through this all right.

As another modality, have you tried massages? Warm up some essential oils in a carrier oil, and lovingly massage (gently) ankle and foot. This will get deep into tissues and hopefully put more life into them.

It works even better if someone else like a spouse gives you foot massage with TLC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.