Ankle exercises at home, while waiting for PT

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my ankle operation( 2 bones broke) 7 weeks ago, with plate & 8 pins. I had an x-ray done on it today, & it it is looking good. The doctor said that I don't need to sleep with the air boot now, which is GREAT!    I have to start physio therapy, but the soonest that they can see me is in 3 weeks. Are there any suggetions as to what exercises that I can do at home, while I am waiting.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's great news that your xrays are good and tou can start physio soon. I trawled the Internet and found these on an Nhs website so I've been trying to do them - http://www.leicspart.nhs.uk/Library/71Physiotherapyfollowingananklefracture.pdf

i wasn't prepared to be told to be told that he thinks I should be wearing a shoe in a few weeks because I'm still so unsteady on PWB and I'm terrified that I overdo it and end up doing damage. But I'll give it a go because I'm desperate to get my mobility and independence back.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hope they help. I'm doing my exercises at the moment, ankle not moving Too much but I'm trying to do them every few hours. Once I'm full weight bearing and hopefully in a shoe If don't hear anything from nhs about physio my work can refer me to physiotherapist or If need be i can pay for it myself. 😀
    • Posted

25th August. So I'm just over 6 weeks post op. It's healed a lot quicker than I thought it would but I had this daft idea that I'd just be able to walk as well as before. Realise now that it's going to take a lot longer than I thought but I've just got to be patient and do everything I can to get my mobility back.
    • Posted

I've had it on for last 3 weeks. I take it off when I'm doing exercises but other than that it's on all the time. Doc said I can stop wearing it at night but our dog sleeps on our bed and I'm scared he'll jump on it and do damage so I just wear it loosened. Be glad when I'm full weight bearing and can lose it completely.
  • Posted

Hi diane87592,

The trick is to gain as much movement in that ankle as you can, as well as to reduce the internal scar tissue. Stretching by pointing foot and toes up and forward is a good gentle way to start, as well as massage to break down the scar tissue. Another is to lay or sit with leg extended and flat and rock foot from ankle at the 10 and say 2 oclock positions. And of course don't over do it and if you experience pain which alarms you, don't work at it so hard. It will be stiff and sore to start with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.