Ankle & Foot Surgery for Torn Tendon and Rebuild Fallen Arch

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery three weeks ago to replace a torn tendon in my ankle and rebuild a flat foot.  I am in  a hard cast and using a knee roller (scooter) to get around.  My problem is that my "good" foot, which is the locomotion behind propelling my scooter, is hurting in the arch area and I just noticed a walnut-sized lump on my ankle on that foot.

Has anyone experience foot discomfort in their "good" foot while using a  knee roller?  I am getting worried that I may have inadvertently damaged the other foot.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh Tycass! Yes, you can have things start to hurt while healing from the surgery foot/leg. I had pain in my back, shins, knee from he scooter. I did get myself a cover for the seat on the scooter. (helped immensely)!   Also my good leg hurt some here and there, too. All normal. 

If you are worried have your doc check it out for you. 

good luck! 

Rose smile 

• Posted

Rose, thank you for the reply.  I go back to the doc in two days, but I think hypochondria has set in...I am getting so worried that I've done damage to "good" foot and ankle over the past 3.5 weeks of using the good leg to "motor" my knee scooter.  Thanks for the hope!  smile  

Sandy

• Posted

Your welcome!  Its common to feel like every thing is going to get damaged after something like this. I still worry to this day. I Had tendons and ligaments repaired after a bad fall.  But my doctor has assured me that all is going well. It does take up to six months for healing and then still swelling and discomfort so don't be alarmed. Also, when Physical therapy is a go from  your doc, do it. It does help!  

Keep us all posted! 

Rose

• Posted

Hi Ty,

Yes, indeed, my 'good foot' and ankle complained a great deal after a while when recovering from ankle fracture.

I'd wager this is more common than we think, but most patients tend not to mention this phenomenon.

I suspect good foot/ankle pain and discomfort is due to several causes, but probably foremost is that the good side has to do much more than it ever did in moving you, carrying weight etc. while injured ankle is immobile.

Unless you were a superbly conditioned athlete when you were injured it would be difficult for the good ankle to pick up the slack without any troubles whatsoever.

The other reason for good ankle/foot troubles during recovery might be a 'sympathetic' neural response to what is happening to bad side-- since opposite sides of body are interconnected from a physiological and energetic standpoint.

• Posted

Thank you for this explanation!  I feel better now!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.