ankle Fracture 1 week post op problems with my boot too lose

Posted , 5 users are following.

i can feel my whole foot my ankle even though its been a week since the op the boot is loose its very lose that i can feel my foot just moving about. When i stand up the weight of the boot goes down and holds on through the top part of my foot also blood flows into my leg it feels like my leg is about to explode because the boot just goes very tight around my foot and causes some excruciating pain . i don't know what to do take it off ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, take it off.  Get a stretchy cotton sock a diabetic sock and cut the toe part off so you can see your toes.  Lie down on the opposite side of the injury and support your foot on a soft thin pillow.  Take whatever medicine for pain you've been told to take.  After it feels better you can put the boot back on.  The boot should never feel too tight. Let your doctor know what's happening.

• Posted

Thank you for your response the boot is as i say loose around my leg while its elevated and i can feel my foot move in it but when i go for the toilet for example my foot gets the blood flow and swells up around it the boot makes it worse by being there should i take it off and go back to check up on a professional  
  • Posted

I found that my foot felt that way for a few weeks any time it was dependent after surgery. For me, it wasn't so much the boot being too tight (because mine had Velcro) as it was just the awful swelling happening having it below the heart. It would also turn purple as well, especially in the shower. It does go away it just takes time. You said it has been one week and I hate to say this but that's not very long in the scheme of things and you should probably still be elevating most of the time. You can take the boot off when you're not ambulating. It sometimes helped to just have my knee bent while getting around just so it wouldn't have all the blood rush straight down. I didn't spend too long upright and I healed fairly fast. I hope it gets better for you.

• Posted

i am concerned that the boot is loose  around my foot thank you for your response 
  • Posted

Hi RamaLit! I hope things are better for you today.

If I were you, I would take the boot off, elevate your foot and ice it as often as possible. If that seems like a lot of work, I think elevation is the most important.

A doctor may have some advice and put your mind at ease.

Here's hoping that you have a speedy recovery RamaLit!

• Posted

I hated the boot caused me so much pain. I only had it for a week and a half. Surgeon said not to use it as it was for support and should not cause pain. I’m a tough old thing but that thing had me in tears. And if you don’t wear an Even Up Shoe with it will cause a lot of secondary injuries. I’m  7 months on now. Still have good and not so good days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.