Ankle Fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

6 Months ago I fractured my ankle. My doctor said I would be up and running 2 months ago, but I am still in lots of pain, and can barely walk. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Have any of you had this issue? Is there possible surgery in my future?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am going in to doctor tomorrow to see if surgery necessary, so please don't answer and say that I need to check with a doctor.

• Posted

Hello. First for context, nasty pilon fracture, 2 surgeries, 6 pins and a plate later. I had pretty bad pain through 8 weeks and was pretty much zero weight baring in a boot (God bless my scooter). For a while, I was not feeling improvement and my Ortho was telling me that while the bone healing was going well, pain was not unusual and it didn't help that the standard pain meds didn't work for me. Long story short, the solution came when they determined that my nerves were still firing which caused pain. They suggested Gabupenton which helped immediately and my pain subsided shortly thereafter. Anyway, maybe some stuff to discuss with your doctor. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi

I had orif surgery last August and had 2 plates and 12 pins in right ankle. Was NWB for about 6 weeks then progressed into walking boot and eventually after about 4 months was back in trainers. I was totally unprepared for what I was left with despite intensive physio therapy I have not been able to regain full range of movement and have just undergone surgery to remove the majority of the hardware due to constant pain. The bones had healed which was great but I was still taking painkillers daily and walking with a limp. I was told by one of the doctors who assisted the surgeon that I had to accept that my ankle would not be the same as before the break and he was right unfortunately. It was such a slow recovery and I'm not the most patient person. I wish I could give you a more positive story. I get my stitches out tomorrow and after more physio therapy I hope to be pain free and have better mobility. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Just had ankle surgery yesterday had a plate and screws put in pain medicine Percocet that my doctor gave me are not touching pain what do I do? Also one side of bandage has a little blood on gauze and circuits that normal? Read a bunch of articles and it says some blood is expected

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.