Ankle fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have undergone open reduction intrrnal fixation for bimolecular fracture right ankle

Now cast removed after 27dayss of surgery .can i able to walk after another 1 month

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

27 days seems a bit early to walk to me. I was advised that it takes 6 weeks for bones to heal and fuse with any hardware you may have gotten then 16 weeks that you typically risk no reinjury.

I was in a hard cast for 8 weeks non weight bearing. I had ORIF trimalleolar dislocation. Then doctor fitted with cast shoe for one week, to start weight bearing using one crutch. Then i got cast off to a walking boot for 2 weeks. So at 12 weeks i was in a tennis shoe walking with a limp.

Everyone is different, so heed your doctors advise. July 23rd is my 16 week post ORIF, and i walk with a slight limp, still not running or jumping yet. I am back to gym workouts 3 days a week but no hard impact.

Be patient the ankle is a complicated joint. Listen to your body. I still ice and elevate daily. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for reply.i did not give you full details.earlier of the surgery. actually the cast removed after 1month and now i am wearing stockings. Doing some exercises given by physiotheriapist.now dr adivice me to put 10 percent wait only.that is pressing front portion of foot.need to go for review again after 1 month.that is exactly 7 weeks after my surgery.

The questionis will be will i be taught to put full weight in 7 weeks

• Posted

If you are able to tolerate looking at it, have the doc show you your xray. I have been an ortho nurse for 12 years but never really appreciated the complexity of the ankle. Tib/fib and ankle dislocations/fractures are painful and take a long time to heal. Remember, the entire weight of our bodies sits on our ankles and feet. Wishing you a quick recovery
    • Posted

Thanks for reply.i did not give you full details.earlier of the surgery. actually the cast removed after 1month and now i am wearing stockings. Doing some exercises given by physiotheriapist.now dr adivice me to put 10 percent wait only.that is pressing front portion of foot.need to go for review again after 1 month.that is exactly 7 weeks after my surgery.

The questionis will be will i be taught to put full weight in 7 weeks

• Posted

Hello all. I read over all the posts and they were helpful, but I wanted to tell my story and see your thoughts. I am a 30 year old female. I was ran over by a car and had Open Reduction Internal Fixation Surgery on my left medial ankle in 8/2011 which resulted in 2 large screws, a few small screws ( I cant recall how many) and one plate. As a result from the surgery, I got MRSA and then had to get anther I&D (incision and drainage) sugery later in 8/2011 to clear out MRSA. An intravenous PIC line was put in where Vancomycin was administered for a month to clear out infection. This all led me to have a large open wound that I had to keep open post surgery then pack wet to dry with gauze and saline for 2 months until the tissue grew back in. Once wound had closed (which is rather large), I did physical therapy for 6 months after and got most of my mobility and range of motion back. I now have a depressed contracted adherent scar over my left medial malleolus. Although the surrounding tissue is supple and mobile, and my left leg peripheral pulses are full, the impression of the scar is poor quality. I saw a plastic surgeon in 2012 concerned of the location of the scar who told me that the scar was over a bony prominence that will be prone to breakdown in the future. He said that light trauma could damage the skin and result in bone exposure. He said it would be easier to remove the scar and resurface the mallelus with a proximally based rotational flap while adjacent tissue is healthy and I am young with good blood supply. Although, he did also say complicatons come with flap coverage which include infection, skin loss, and need for more complex surgery to gain optimum closure. The look of the scar is not what is bothering me. What concerns me is that it is prone to breakdown. Over the last few years there has been swelling on a regular basis within my ankle, especially after working out. I know this is common and did not bother me much until I started to get pain. In past 2 years, if standing on it for a long period of time or engaging in a very strenous activiity, I will have sharp shooting pains that only last a few minutes (which I was fine with and dealt with). I have always been somewhat active. I currently go to spin class 5 days a week. I figure this would be better than running as its not as high impact on ankle. Every once in awhile, I have had a dull aching pain in my ankle. If I do intense weight bearing activity for long periods of time, it aches and swells. I have also noticed a little bump which appears to be the back of the screw possibly pushing out. On 3/15/2016, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon (5 years after surgery) to get a follow up XRAY to see if there was any misplacement of hardware or anything he would see immediatly wrong. The surgeon said he does not see much movement of screws, but could feel the back of the screw through the scar, which is okay. He does not think it will puncture the skin in future but can't say for sure. He recommended that I get hardware taken out eventually if I want pain to discontinue, but said its up to me. From what I have read sometimes that does not even happen. He also suggested if I ever got the screws taken out to have him and plastic surgeon work concurrently in operating room to insure that the wound is closed appropriately for best healing because of the poor quality of the scar and all the trauma there has been to that area in the past. Present day, I feel like the screw as moved even more as the bump is more prominent and it looked darker in the area, as if you can see coloring of screw. However, this is no bruising around the area. I don't know what to do. I am so paranoid I will have a MRSA issue again or I am scared that if I am cut open again, my wound is not going to heal correctly and then I will need more complex surgery to full closure. Please let me know if anyone has had any issue such as myself and what they think I should do.  Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.